PDA

View Full Version : Pool Pilot "Low Amps Cell" (No chlorine)

scoobiedoob
06-03-2007, 05:39 PM
0 Chlorine
7.2 pH
100 Alk
45 Cya

Pool Pilot Digital with SC60
v 4.02
SC-60
Power Level 3
Salt 3200 (it was showing 3400 yesterday)
Temp 87F
29V 0.2A

Unit approximately 2 years old.

We've been struggling with our Pool Pilot for over a month now... it just won't produce any chlorine and continues to show the "Low Amps Cell" warning. We called Pool Pilot and were told to add more salt, even though our salt level was at 3000 ppm. 100lbs of salt later and still no chlorine and still the same warning.

We've checked the cell and it looks clean and shiny... looks almost like it did brand new.

Our pool is turning green so it appears I'll have to spend money on algae chemicals and some chlorine to shock it temporarily.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sonnie

tenax
06-03-2007, 05:56 PM
hey sonnie..did you check this out for any leads?

http://autopilot.com/pdf/DIGITAL_TROUBLESHOOTING.pdf

scoobiedoob
06-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Yeah... all seems to be in order. We've only been swimming twice this year thus far. We run the filter pump 12 hours per day, which is what we've always done, although recently we've had it on boost mode and ran it solid for a couple of days. We've tried about everything we know to do. I think something might be bummed out on our unit, but I'm just not sure.

Either way it appear we are about to have to spend money on chemicals to get it right. I get frustrated when I spend this much money and it works fine for almost 2 years and then I have to start spending money again.

tenax
06-03-2007, 07:29 PM
i know what you mean. at least the power supply and cell should still be warrantied i would guess.

Poolsean
06-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Scoobiedoob,

Please check the Cell cord on both ends for any signs of corrosion or damage.
If you're willing to check an electrical fuse, please call me on my cell phone tomorrow. The top left fuse is the cell fuse and may have blown, for whatever reason.
IF YOU"RE WILLING, PLEASE TURN OFF POWER BEFORE MESSING WITH THE ELECTRICAL PORTION!

954-325-3859

Sean

scoobiedoob
06-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi Sean,

I think I can handle checking that fuse. The connections look like new... I checked all of those at first.

I called and left you a message.

Thanks,
Sonnie

pilot
06-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Mine is doing the same thing, its only a 1 1/2 years old. Called autopilot, they were suppose to call me back today, still waiting.

scoobiedoob
06-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Well fortunately I found the problem with ours. It was a bad banana plug connector. When I took the cover off looking at the fuses, I also looked very close at all the connections... just basically tracing all of them down from outside to inside to see if maybe something was loose. I got to looking really close at the banana plugs and noticed the black one had a bubble on it, as if it had gotten hot and melted. So... out comes the ole trusty test meter and sure enough there was no contact from the black cable outside the box to the terminal inside the box. Unfortunately I did not have an extra banana plug lying around, so I hard wired the red and black wires to the inside, bypassing any banana plug connections. I suppose if that cable ever goes bad, I'll simply have to hard wire it again.

Below is a link to a pic of the banana plugs... apparently a bad solder on the inside of the plug shorted it out.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zX-Xs9EeK0E/T1QD_XOMgbI/AAAAAAAABkE/fOraYBWL9Aw/s400/pp_connectors%2520web.jpg

$30 worth of algaecide, $5 worth of bleach and a little jury rigging later, we are now functioning normally.

26V 8.0A

No more "Low Amps - Cell" warning.

Sonnie

pilot
06-04-2007, 11:12 PM
I wish that was my problem, Its not I just checked it.:mad:

scoobiedoob
06-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Did you check the fuses? There appears to be three underneath the cover.

As Sean suggests though... make sure you turn the power off before taking the cover off.

pilot
06-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Checked the fused all okay. Sean is getting a service call put in.