PDA

View Full Version : Turned my A/C into a pool heater

moreyes
06-03-2007, 06:55 AM
I do a/c work for a living and after working on commercial Pool Pak units(commercial heat recovery units http://www.poolpak.com/ ) I thought why cant I do this with my pool, so last spring I aqquired the needed parts and built my own. It is basically a 36,000 btu htr

I ended up knocking a average of 70.00 to 100.00 a month of my gas bill plus when I cool my house I know the energy is not wasted:D

cleancloths
06-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Can you give us some more details on what parts and what is involved. Is this something "anyone" with some mechanical ability can do themselves?

CarlD
06-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Someone a few years ago did it by replacing the air-cooled unit outside with a water-cooled one, and used his pool water for that.

A friend is looking into a heat capture and exchange system to use the A/Cs hot air to heat the water.

Just some added info.

moreyes
06-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Can you give us some more details on what parts and what is involved. Is this something "anyone" with some mechanical ability can do themselves?

No I would have to say you would have to have some pretty good knowledge on how the a/c system works.

I set mine up so it will switch between the air condensor and the water cooled condensor based on pool water temp.

Some of the basic parts need are a liquid ref reciver tank, water cooled condensor, solenoid valves, High and low pressure cut out switches.

I used my 12 year old 10 seer condensing unit, I also increased the eff.of the unit because on the Hot days rather than 90 to 100 d air temp going accross the air cooled condensor it is 80 to 85 pool water.

Can you post pics on this forum I would show you a pic?

CarlD
06-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Yes you can post pictures.

You can either upload the pic to a personal web page, then copy and paste it, or you can add an attachment to your post.