PDA

View Full Version : cloudy water yesterday

mikemedic
06-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Ok
I was an expert last year after a green pool opening after spending every evening reading here.
I have a 20,000 vinyl IG pool.
I started to get cloudy water yesterday. My FC levels were low Thursday eve so I decided to shock with cal hypo. 1.5 bags 68% cal hypo.
So Friday about 5 pm pool getting cloudy and FC at .5.
Ph about 7.2, hardness 140, Alk 70. CYA was about 40 last week
I added 3- .75 gallons of ultra beach. I also added about 2 lbs of borax.
Late last night FC at 8. Today, ph is 7.4, FC is 3 despite two more .75 gallon bottles of bleach. I backwashed again ( sand filter).

I am going in the right direction? How much bleach should I add tonight?

Thanks \\

Mike

Watermom
06-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Hello to my fellow West Virginian! Yes, you are going in the right direction. In a pool your size, each 1/2 gallon (2 quarts) of 6% bleach will raise your cl by about 1.5 ppm. With a cya of 40, you'll need to run it between 3-6 all the time and your shock level will be about 15. I would just use bleach instead of cal-hypo. It will not cloud your water like cal-hypo sometimes can. While you are trying to clear your pool, test 2 or 3 times a day and each time add enough bleach to get back to shock level. Also run your pump 24/7. After it clears, you can go back to just testing and dosing it with bleach in the evening only and you can cut back your pump time. Glad to see you back around the forum.

(I can't remember where you are from in WV? I'm from Charleston.)

mikemedic
06-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks. I am from Morgantown, WV.
I was active last year year as you guys got me thru the green pool. The BBB method worked great all year.
It seems like I have been going thru more bleach this year but we have had a banner Memorial Day and it has been hot ever since.

I waited for a response but I decided to shock with 2 bags of cal hypo. My hardness is only 150 so should be ok there.

My question is if the FC level is not 15 Sunday morning when I test or get out of bed should I add bleach to get to 15 even though the sun is out? Or wait till evening?

My Cya is lower this year after 40 vs 70 last year. I guess I should keep it at 40 but seem to use more bleach.

Let me know
Mike

Watermom
06-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Yes to retesting and redosing in the morning. We typically tell people to test and add their bleach in the evenings, but when you are trying to clear your water, you need to do it several (2 or better yet 3) times per day. Hope it clears soon. Keep that pump running and keep us posted of your progress.

mikemedic
06-03-2007, 11:45 AM
FC was at 10 ppm this am. I added 2 -.75 gallons of bleach. Looking better.
Mike

Watermom
06-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Good. Hopefully within a couple of days it will be clear.

mikemedic
06-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Watermom,
On the average how much chlorine do you use daily?
If you had to guess. And what is our pool gallons?
Thanks
Mike

Watermom
06-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi Mike,
My pool volume is about 12,700. Right now my cya is at about 35 and I typically put in approximately 2 quarts of 6% bleach per evening.