PDA

View Full Version : Stinging eyes Green hair & THAT smell....

hoffmans
06-02-2007, 12:15 AM
ok folks,
Just so i have the facts to give all the critics who say clorine is the cause of all their problems....

Could you tell me again what causes:
Stinging eyes
Green Hair
and That clorine smell (which i happen to LOVE )

Thanks
~Hoffmans

CarlD
06-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Stinging eyes:
1) pH too low. Raise pH to 7.3-7.8
2) Combined Chloramines (the "bad" chlorine--also causes the "chlorine" smell)
3) other contaminants from poor filtering or inadequate use of chlorine.

To cure 2) and 3) you ADD chlorine, even shocking your pool. This metabolizes the contaminants and breaks down the Combined Chloramines.

Green Hair:
Copper from algaecides or "Dual Action" tri-chlor tabs. We only recommend Polyquat as an algaecide and it has no copper. While copper is an algaecide, it turns hair green and can stain pool walls and fittings.

To repeat: Combined Chloramines cause the smell, indicating that something's been metabolized, dirt, bacteria, suntan lotion, biomass, etc.
A pool can have a VERY high chlorine level and almost no smell if it's very clean. My pool won't have that smell until a person gets in--then the impurities on their body get metabolized and the smell appears.

waste
06-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Stinging eyes:
1) pH too low. Raise pH to 7.3-7.8
2) Combined Chloramines (the "bad" chlorine--also causes the "chlorine" smell)
3) other contaminants from poor filtering or inadequate use of chlorine.

To cure 2) and 3) you ADD chlorine, even shocking your pool. This metabolizes the contaminants and breaks down the Combined Chloramines.

Green Hair:
Copper from algaecides or "Dual Action" tri-chlor tabs. We only recommend Polyquat as an algaecide and it has no copper. While copper is an algaecide, it turns hair green and can stain pool walls and fittings.

To repeat: Combined Chloramines cause the smell, indicating that something's been metabolized, dirt, bacteria, suntan lotion, biomass, etc.
A pool can have a VERY high chlorine level and almost no smell if it's very clean. My pool won't have that smell until a person gets in--then the impurities on their body get metabolized and the smell appears.

Carl, have them wash off before using the pool :D