PDA

View Full Version : Normal PSI filter ?

xoroniox
04-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Hey,
ok so here is my question i have a IG 28x14 pool , hayward 1hp maxiflo pump 1 month old with a 50sq hayward cartridge filter also 1month old with the psi gauge on the bottom of it, Is there a general "normal" psi reading for this setup? when i had my old cartridge in there normal was 10psi and when it needed cleaning it was around 15psi and since last month with the new cartridge just after i clean it, the reading is 15psi for about 10minutes and it jumps to 20psi. now i cant really see this meaning the water is so dirty that after 10minutes the cartridge needs to be cleaned again? or maybe its priming and 20psi is normal? since i put the cartridge in i have been cleaning it once a week and it has been reading 20psi each time. Also how often is normal to clean the cartridge or does it not matter since i am only washing it out with the hose/water? appreciate all the help! :)

xoroniox
04-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Bump - any help on this.. or is it the type of thing where normal operation and cleaning will show me my "normal" psi? Thanks for any help :p

Poconos
04-25-2006, 09:32 AM
There is no 'normal' pressure. Too many variables. Pump size, filter, pipe diameter and length of runs and so forth. Priming shouldn't take 10 minutes and pressure should stabilize once all air is out of the system. You can see any air in the pump basket and this should blow out in a couple minutes at most. Your normal pressure should be just after cleaning. Unless you're vacuuming I can't imagine any significant amount of dirt getting into the filter that quickly. I know nothing about cartridge filters but can you run the system without the cartridge in place and see what pressure you get then? Would give you an idea how much the filter cartridge itself is restricting the flow. Sorry I couldn't be of more help right now.
Al

waterbear
04-25-2006, 01:48 PM
The pressure after the cartridge is cleaned is probably the best to go with. I have a pentair free and clear 150 cartridge and a whisperflo 1.5 HP uprated pump and my normal pressure (since the pool was built and everything new) is about 20 PSI.