PDA

View Full Version : Plants around above ground pool?

pedsrn
05-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Wasn't sure exactly WHERE to put this one, this was the closest I could find. Does anyone have experience or advice with elephant ears being planted close to the pool? I planted some a few years back and they have thrived because they are close to the filter and where the backwash drains. They have moved under the deck toward the pool. Today I noticed one growing right up next to the edge of the pool. Are their roots destructive to the liner?

I really wanted to plant cane close to the pool and didn't because I know its roots can spread three feet or more underground. Everything I read said elephant ears were good landscape around a pool. However, nothing mentions it growing AGAINST the pool. This year, I transplanted several banana trees within four or five feet of the pool. I pray I didn't mess up there?

NWMNMom
05-30-2007, 01:23 AM
I would not feel comfortable having something growing NEXT to the pool with the thought that soon something is trying to grow up UNDER the pool. if you can dig it up and transplant further away, I would. JMHO, but better safe than sorry. But having said that, Elephant Ears are great looking plants! so tropical, I bet they look great.

poolmom06
06-06-2007, 01:37 AM
I put all my plants around my pool in pots, so they go up against the house in the winter time and then I empty out the pots with the perenials in them. easy weeding...