PDA

View Full Version : Low PH and Alkalinity

newbie2pools
05-28-2007, 03:30 PM
I just put in a new liner and new water. The stabilizer and chlorine looks good, but the alkalinity was at 60 and PH at 6.8 (at least it was that orange color at the very bottom.) I bought Borax but am unsure how much to put in and do I just sprinkle it in or what? Thanks!

Pam

mbar
05-28-2007, 04:22 PM
You can use washing soda, as explained in this post by CarlD:

Baking Soda does not raise pH significantly but it does raise Total Alkalinity (TA).

All Chem_Geek was suggesting was that since you need to raise both pH and TA, you can use Arm&Hammer Washing Soda (in the Yellow box) rather than using both Baking Soda and Borax.

Why would you do this? Generally, pound for pound, at the supermarket Washing Soda is a little cheaper than Borax. But more importantly you only need to add one chem to get both effects.

99 times out a 100, I'll use Borax to raise pH, especially since I'm generally facing higher TA levels (140 or so--which is fine in vinyl pool with no heater). Borax won't increase TA levels, sort of. Washing Soda will. (as pH rises and falls, TA goes up and down with it. W/S raises the TA more than the pH rise does alone.)

So the other day my pH was 6.9 (VERY unusual for me) and my TA was 50. IDEAL conditions for using Washing Soda rather than Borax and Baking soda.

You can pour the washing soda right in the skimmer, slowly so that it doesn't go all over the place - how much depends on how much water your pool holds;)

CarlD
05-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Washing Soda is the same chemical sold expensively as "pH Up" and other amazing names and packages that justify a price 3 or 4 times that of Washing Soda.

Both are Sodium Carbonate (NOT the same as Sodium BI-Carbonate--baking soda).

newbie2pools
05-29-2007, 04:10 PM
It's a 13,500 gallon pool (24' x 48"). Where might I find how much to add?

mbar
05-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Try adding 2 cups, wait 2 hours, test again and see how much it went up - then take it from there.

newbie2pools
05-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Try adding 2 cups, wait 2 hours, test again and see how much it went up - then take it from there.

Thank you!