PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge vs. Sand Filters

hunter580
04-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Can someone help me out? I'm getting ready to buy a pool package and I need to know which is better. Clarity and ease of maintiananceare of course my main concerns. Thanks

xoroniox
04-23-2006, 03:06 PM
I have only had cartridge's so i cant compare but i can say this, when working properly they are a breeze and do a great job. when i let the algae grow and fail to properly take care of the water it takes some time depending on the level of algae growth to get the water clear but i believe this is true for all filter. when the pool is clear i just add bleach once a week, test daily or weekly and clean the filter and pump/skimmer baskets weekly and it works great. i hope that helps somewhat? Good luck

-Arron

baseballmom22
05-03-2006, 07:41 AM
I had an above ground pool and used a sand filter. I am in the process of putting in a gunite pool, and I'm getting the cartridge. Since I've had to remove the sand and replace it, I decided that the cartridge was easier to maintain. We had a spa that used the cartridges, and I loved only having to rinse them instead of digging sand out of a container, filling it back up and making sure the tubing stayed exactly correct and then having to put it all back together. Cartridge might be more expensive, but I think my time is worth it.

Just my two sense.

CarlD
05-03-2006, 09:23 AM
I had a tiny cart on an Intex EasySet, and though it's much easier to maintain than a full size cart (replacements are $10 so you can chuck it if you don't feel like cleaning it) I disliked it intensely. Cleaning even the little carts was a PITA. I've heard the "Once a season" urban myth, but most owners end up cleaning them far more frequently. Some work out routines to make it easier.

I now have a sand filter (for a much larger pool) and find maintenance on it during the season and before and after to be trivial. When the pressure goes up I backwash. I have a backwash hose on a reel so rolling it out and back is a snap--takes less than a minute for each. Backwashing means moving a handle to backwash, and back. No big deal. I backwash every week or 2--when the pressure rises and it's easy. Some day, I'll connect the waste line to the storm sewer directly, and it will be even less work. To increase filtering, I add a cup of DE after I backwash, a la Poconos. One 10 lb box is usually enough for the summer.

My dad had DE filters for 20 + years and had few problems with them. They work very well too, and give the best filtering quality. He didn't think it was a lot of work to maintain.

I suspect that if you find your filtering system works for you, you'll be happy with it and swear by it. If you find it to be a problem and a lot of work, you should switch. With ALL filters it's very important to be sure the filter's GPM capacity is greater than the max GPM the pump puts out. ALL will give you trouble otherwise.

waterbear
05-03-2006, 01:21 PM
I am an avid cartridge user so let me state that first!;)

I agree with CarlD. If your filtering system works for you then you will love it.
There are pros and cons to the three types of filters in terms of maintenance and filtering ability and you need to look them over and decide what you want to do and spend for maintenance of the filter and how 'polished' you want your water to be. Some townships now only allow cartridge filters becuase of the water used duing backwashing of sand and DE.

DE will filter to about 6 microns
Cartrdige will filter to about 20 microns
Sand will filter to about 60 microns.

As far as maintenace involved...that depends on whethter you ask a sand, cartridge, or DE owner! :D

One final though...an UNDERSIZED cartridge filter (such as on some of the Intex pools and on some spas) is probably the WORST filter you will ever have to deal with. A properly sized one is easy if you hose it off BEFORE the pressure gauge rises the 8-10 psi that is usually recommended. I hose mine off monthy and usually have no increase in pressure at the time I do it. The whole process takes about 10 minutes and that includes cleaning the basket in the pump.

All filters will benefit from thorough cleaning yearly, which can be time consuming and the process is different for each type of filter.