PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin and Blue Diamond. The search continues...

cruzmisl
05-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Well after a year or so my Dolphin Dynamic finally stopped climbing. Thank God I bought it from Costco because it's going back.

Anyway, I am hoping the Blue Diamond is better. I Was going to buy it from the pooldrstore but they only have a 2 week return policy and the cost delivered is $1340.

I can get one on Frontgate.com which I beleive is a rebranded Blue Diamond for $1175 delivered (I have a $50 off coupon). Does anyone know if they are the same machine? Frontgate also has a more liberal 30 day return policy in case it doesn't work as expected.

http://www.frontgate.com/jump.jsp?sort=-1&itemID=4402&itemType=PRODUCT&AS=1&keyword=pool%20cleaner

Looks the same to me

Thanks for any thoughts.
Joe

cleancloths
05-25-2007, 09:31 AM
I would check out the blue pearl, it is cheaper and does a great job. I had a polaris that died and replaced it with a dynamic that was garbage- returned the dynamic to costco and bought a pearl whic I love.

tphaggerty
05-29-2007, 11:15 AM
I spoke with Watertech just recently (about a PoolBuster, but asked them about the difference between a Blue Diamond and Blue Pearl). What I was told was that a Blue Diamond comes with the cart AND it has a 4 year warranty. The Blue Pearl does not come with a cart standard, and only has a 1 year warranty. Other than that, they are very similar units, the motors, scrubbers and turn logic are all same.

leejp
05-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Well after a year or so my Dolphin Dynamic finally stopped climbing. Thank God I bought it from Costco because it's going back.

Anyway, I am hoping the Blue Diamond is better. I Was going to buy it from the pooldrstore but they only have a 2 week return policy and the cost delivered is $1340.

I can get one on Frontgate.com which I beleive is a rebranded Blue Diamond for $1175 delivered (I have a $50 off coupon). Does anyone know if they are the same machine? Frontgate also has a more liberal 30 day return policy in case it doesn't work as expected.

http://www.frontgate.com/jump.jsp?sort=-1&itemID=4402&itemType=PRODUCT&AS=1&keyword=pool%20cleaner

Looks the same to me

Thanks for any thoughts.
Joe

Joe...

If you want a robotic cleaner I would say save the $$$ and go with the Pool Rover Plus (~$600 new). It doesn't clibmb vertical walls (will climb the hopper), doesn't scrub the water line or stairs. Other than that it works MUCH better than other robotics. I had an aquabot that would get stuck on the stairs, the main drain, return lines and eat its own cord. Far from drop it in and forget it. The Pool Rover Plus is a 100x simpler mechanically with no microprocessors/electronics inside the unit. There's virtually nothing to break. If you don't mind scrubbing the walls and sweeping the stairs yourself... check out the PRP.

That said... this year I bought a thepoolcleaner (http://www.thepoolcleaner.com/pressurepoolcleaner.html) pressure side cleaner. I have a leafy pool and I wanted a unit that lives in the pool and is constantly cleaning when the pump is running. The other reasonis convenience, If you've had a robotic, you know how heavy/cumbersome they can be to put in the pool and fish it out. My wife is a petite woman and she is not able to lift the cleaner out of the pool on her own.

I was very happy with my Pool Rover Plus but for me I think a "live in" cleaner will be better. I have a DE filter to catch the fine stuff. I'll run thepoolcleaner in a couple of weeks and report back. The reviews I've read thus far have been positive.