PDA

View Full Version : Solar cover hooks?

pool newby
05-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Somewhere I saw a hook system that were installed under the top rails and used to hold your solar cover when not in use. Looked like it would be nice to have instead of messing with one of those reels. Has anybody else seen these, or know where I can pick them up?

thanks

ePoolUser
05-23-2007, 08:33 PM
I have been using a cover and reel since last fall, I can't imagine trying to gather and fold the cover over the edge. The reel is easy to use and move to the side for a quick swim.

I can remove/replace the cover in about 1 minute and never get in or wet, maybe sprinkled a bit. I think I would get quite wet trying to pull the cover over the edge, especially my feet, and could guess as much as 10 minutes to gather a bit here and move to the next spot, gather, then move, etc.

If I completely remove the cover I need a helper (teenage son) to carry one end to a shady spot.

I'm happy with my reel. :)

Steve

BTW, I have a nice, neat cutout for my steps. I moved the location of my steps and so rotated my reel around and discovered my round pool is about 3inches out of round! I'll have to reassemble the pole making in a bit longer.

pool newby
05-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Steve,

I guess I am a little confused then about the solar cover reels. From the pics I've seen, they look like they make an area of your pool unusable, where the pool goes from rail to rail, I wasn't aware that they swing out of the way, or do they? Also, just my opinion, but they seem to look really tacky.

ePoolUser
05-24-2007, 03:05 PM
>>they look like they make an area of your pool unusable, where the pool goes from rail to rail, <<

My pool is a round above ground. I run the reel (pole) right across the middle. It sags and touches the water, so yes, it isn't much fun swimming in 1/2 the pool.

>>I wasn't aware that they swing out of the way, or do they?<<

The whole thing is very light weight. I am happy to swing one end of the rolled up cover to a side of the pool for a quick swim. Neither end is mounted securely. It's held in place by the magic of gravity. I can relocate one end either while in the pool or before I jump in. Now I'm swimming in 7/8 of my pool. This is fine for a quick swim/excercise. The reel/pole/cover is hanging about 1/4 out and over the pool edge. I do not have a deck to lay it on. If we have a big swim with friends I completely remove it to a shady location. Disclaimer for you mathmeticians out there- all fractions are guesstimates! :)

>>Also, just my opinion, but they seem to look really tacky.<< Everybody has one. I like my water warm. :) Seriously, we don't notice it. I think my stair rails are a whole lot more tacky. And my filter. I'll bet if you put out a pink flamingo near your pool no one would notice the reel. :)

simsjim
05-24-2007, 03:06 PM
LOVE my reel. One of the best improvements I ever made. Bungie cords help keep the cover tight against the reel when not in use.

tenax
05-24-2007, 08:56 PM
i keep mine about 4 ft from the end of my pool (33 ft long) the small end rolls in before the big end naturally..when i want to swim, i simply lock the wheels in place..and if i'm doing myself, roll one side back to the end..then the other side..easy as can be. i never leave it over the pool so it's in the way..takes me 3 minutes to roll up, put the white cover on (so bubbles don't melt), 5 bungie cords and i move it out of the way when it's off. love it!

ps- a simple idea that i've done to pull it back onto the pull is i've attached 2 bungee clips (so i made no holes in the cover) with nylon thin ropes attached. they are long enough that i can throw them on the pool deck to the side, i grab them, walk to the end of the pool, and start pulling the cover onto the pool. it makes everything a 1 man job.

nicole12
05-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Here you go, it's called Solar Saddle - Pool Cover Holder from www.intheswim.com (http://www.intheswim.com), $99

http://www.intheswim.com/shopping/product.aspx?productid=18718

tenax
05-28-2007, 08:31 PM
just remember in any case, to make sure you put a white plastic (not clear) cover on your solar cover if it's a sunny day..it acts like a heat sink and the bubbles will melt and pop if there isn't water to keep it from getting too hot.

matt4x4
05-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Before getting my reel, I used those long 12" hollow pipe hooks from a hardware store, I would simply get in the pool, roll the cover up, heave it over the edge onto the hooks, then to get it back on, I would heave it back in from inside the pool - all doable, but I certainly like my reel much better!
The reels that sit across the center of the pool will roll up a round cover nicely because you strat rolling it ou on the wide portion and it rolls smooth and flat, once done, you pick up one side and swing it out of the way off the pool, or in some cases, you have to get a person on each end and pick the whole thing up and walk it off teh end of the pool - voila - entire pool is usable.

I have mine hard mounted off the end of my round pool - mainly because it's a 30 foot pool and no one made a roller that would span that width, therefore, I had it custom made. Rolling up the blanket isn't hard at all, a couple of trips side to side to tug it flat is all it takes to keep it neat looking, however, that isn't even necessary if you don't care how it looks on the reel.