PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

PhantomAndy
05-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Your enjoying your crystal clean sparkling pool on a mid spring afternoon after a long day at work.

Splashing around in the water, you admire the birds in the birdfeeder out in the yard when suddenly. . . . . .

Without any provoking of any kind, a lowly cowbird takes flight. You think to yourself "I hate ugly cowbirds, they just run the cardinals and sparrows away from my feeder" and then it happens!

As if the bird can read your mind, he releases the remains of all that bird food he's been munching as he passes over. Time slows down, and ever microsecond seems like minutes. You move back as the payload drifts slowly toward the pool's surface. You cringe as the runny blob of white nastyness hits ground zero. It's a hit. . .

The fresh droppings skink quickly toward the bottom of the pool.

What would you do?

Me? I moved quickly from the shallow end (where the cowbirds gift was delivered) to the deep end of the pool. I stay there watching the pool thermometer as a guage to judge about when that 'gift' would have arrived in the deepend and move back to the shallow end.... By now I figure the chlorine army has closed the ranks and started attacking the intruders.

Seriously - if you saw the bird make a delivery, would you get out or just continue enjoying the pool knowing your perfectly balanced water will take care of the problem on its own?

Enjoy the upcoming weekend - and use caution when looking up!

CarlD
05-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Get a couple of big hungry cats, or a bird dog.

Shock your pool up--gotta do that now anyway. The birds probably won't like high chlorine levels anyway.

mbar
05-23-2007, 10:11 PM
I would have stayed in, if you didn't see it, you wouldn't have known - just like eating restaurant food:D Ha, your chlorine demand would have shown you what to do. Phantom Andy, are you a writer? You described the scene so well, I felt like I was there:)

PhantomAndy
05-24-2007, 08:30 AM
I would have stayed in, if you didn't see it, you wouldn't have known - just like eating restaurant food:D Ha, your chlorine demand would have shown you what to do. Phantom Andy, are you a writer? You described the scene so well, I felt like I was there:)

Yeah - I keep my CL in range based on the best guess CYA chart. I was curious what others would think for just the reason you stated. 'If you didn't see it. . .'

I figure it's like this: I use my pool for a few hours a day (hopefully) and the birds and other wild life are around when I'm not. I know they hit the pool from time to time, and that's why I keep my CL up in the middle of the recommended range. I've seen the dive bombers, turtles, moles, chipmunks, crawdads, and even rabbits all make various uses for our pool. We are in an subdivision in a small town with woods in the back of the property. My favorite has been the turtle. It's become an annual ritual, one ends up in the pool either the day we open, or shortly therafter every year. This year the same turtle has been in twice for a swim.

Nope - not a writer - I actually work for a community college in a middle management role. My background is Information Technology/Telecommunications/Network Security, but I've always held my own when it comes to writing. I think it's genetic: My Brother is a writer for the Wall Street Journal and the Dow Jones News Service, and my sister is an English/Journalism teacher at a high school.

I don't know where we got it - raise by a wonderful stay at home mom, and a dad who's an engineer. :D Must have been them Tennessee Schools where we grew up, hehehe.