PDA

View Full Version : More Problems

p.p.h.
04-23-2006, 12:18 AM
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=688
Thats problem #1
Problem number 2 is that my salt readings are 4500. Thats what the unit is telling me. Is this an emergency that calls for immediate drain and refill?
When Monday rolls around Im gonna call up the installers boss and let them know what happened.

mwsmith2
04-23-2006, 10:57 AM
I think your display is reading a bit high. From your other thread, you mentioned you have a 10K gal pool. You also mentioned that you found 7 40# bags in the trash. That's 280# of salt, and that should have brought your salt level up to 3300 or so. Of course, that's assuming that all the bags that he used ended up in the trash at your house.

What is your unit supposed to run at? Most are 3200, so you aren't far off (technically) from that number.

p.p.h.
04-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I dont know if the fill water had salt in it but at the level its at, it definitely tastes salty. The unit recommends 3000-3500 with 3250 being optimum.

mwsmith2
04-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Seems to me that what you'd want to do at this point is have a salt test done. The displays aren't always 100% accurate.

Michael

The Pool Newbie
04-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Seems to me that what you'd want to do at this point is have a salt test done. The displays aren't always 100% accurate.

Michael

I agree 100%... Most of the SWG can actually handle salt to very high levels... For example, I think the Pool Pilot can handle up to 35,000PPM but I am not sure how that effects the cell itself. I would "assume" it shortens the life... My water somehow got to 4100ppm when I added the required salt but I think my water was not at 0ppm when I started... I just ran a pool cover pump I had and as I pumped water out I had a hose adding water in on the other end... I am now down to 3700 after running it a couple hours yesterday... The pump has an 1800GPH rating... Probably more like 1500 actual... My pool is 26,400gals so I will have to do it again today... I had a slight salt taste but not too bad...

Scott

Poolsean
04-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Well actually, the salt recommendation are very much different and not many domestic units recommend higher than 3500 ppm. Most Australian units recommend between 4000 - 6000 ppm. The reason is mostly in the power supply design than direct effects on the cell.
PPH, if you still have problems with your system, you can e-mail me directly, I can most likely help you with this (I hired the most knowledgable person on AutoClear in the industry!).
sassam@teamhorner.com

Mark_WATERMAID
04-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Well actually, the salt recommendation are very much different and not many domestic units recommend higher than 3500 ppm. Most Australian units recommend between 4000 - 6000 ppm. The reason is mostly in the power supply design than direct effects on the cell.
PPH, if you still have problems with your system, you can e-mail me directly, I can most likely help you with this (I hired the most knowledgable person on AutoClear in the industry!).
sassam@teamhorner.com

The reason for the higher salt recommendations on the Australian models is not in design as Sean has stated but in the feel of the water. Our body has a salt level of 9000 ppm. Check out an IV bag in the hospital the next time you are there. It will say .9% saline solution. That is 9000 ppm. The Australian standard which has been around for 35 years sets the level at 6000 ppm to make the water pleasant to taste without sacrificing comfort by going to a lower level. It gets pretty frustrating when people boast that the lower salt level is better. A similar argument might be to run the furnace in your house to maintain a 50-degree room temperature. Yes your furnace will last longer but it could be so much nicer if it was at a higher level. It isn’t that we HAVE TO run at a higher salt level it is because we WANT To run at a higher salt level

Mark Manning
Watermaid Canada
mark@watermaid.ca
www.watermaid.c