PDA

View Full Version : Shocking /AutoPilot/bromine

luvapool
04-22-2006, 11:01 PM
I was reading the AutoPilot manual online(don't have the unit yet) and it says to shock using the unit itself or using potassium monopersulfate(a bromine shock) or other non chlorine shock. Everyone on here says to use chlorine.

Also, the AutoPilot can be used to create a bromine sanitized pool as well. I heard bromine is actually a better sanitizer-better bactericide and viricide- than chlorine . Is that really true?

Does anyone use their SWG for bromine sanitizing?

Sean-what say ye about all this? Is it OK to use chlorine to shock the pool? Does it affect the warranty?

Does anyone with an AutoPilot use a non chlorine shock?

luvapool
04-26-2006, 02:26 PM
No one? I am just curious about this. I would much rather use plain old chlorine bleach but wouldn't want to void my warranty.

EricF
04-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Shocking with bleach is fine. As far a I know, salt water chlorine generators are incompatible with bromine, which most people on this board think is much more problematic than chlorine.

EricF

luvapool
04-26-2006, 08:09 PM
The autopilot manual says"Along with the usual salt level, add 2 lbs sodium bromide per 2000 gallons of water. Your Pool Pilot Digital will now generate bromine to sanitize your pool" And then goes on to say one should add 2 lbs of bromide for every 50 lbs salt added if salt levels go below recommended levels.

So then it is generating chlorine and bromine?
It also says in the troubleshooting section that a non chlorine potassium monopersulfate should be used to shock.

I just thought it was interesting, was wondering if anyone does this.

Poolsean
04-27-2006, 01:58 AM
Non-chlorine shock, or possium monopersulfate is fine for shocking. However, it is not a bromine based product. Any salt chlorinator can be converted to a bromine generator with the addition of the bromine salt and in the dosage recommended.
Bromine generator has no advantages over chlorine generator, and adds to the cost of sanitizing your pool.

Yes, any form of chlorine can be used to shock your pool if needed.
We recommend the non-chlorine shock as it is quick to oxidize and for areas of the country that is hard water areas, a non chlorine shock eliminates the additional calcium of the cal hypo type shocks. Household bleach, pool store bleach, granular tri-chlor, di-chlor, cal hypo...any form of chlorine can be used to shock....and as Michael says, it's better to shock this way than to activate the Boost mode or superchlorinate mode of the salt generator as it takes away from the cell life.

It does not affect the warranty.

Hasta banana...I'm off to Cancun for the day.

luvapool
04-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks Sean and EricF.

Cancun for the day? How nice. I can do Toronto for the day-somehow not the same :( Enjoy!