PDA

View Full Version : First time setup

badutahboy
05-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Hey guys, I'm anticipating finishing my 18x33 above ground pool tomorrow and filling it the next day... I'm just curious if you could advise me as to how much bleach, borax and baking powder to buy upfront. I don't want to underbuy and have to go back to walmart 3-4 times.

I'll be filling it with culinary water.... I believe it came out to right around 15000 gallons.

Also, is there a decent water test kit I can buy from walmart or leslies, (or somewhere similar) to use temporarily? I need to order a kit from the site, but want something to get me by in the time it'll take to ship it.

fcfrey
05-21-2007, 09:18 PM
First of all you can not order a test kit from this site, at least until after Ben gets back from his sabbatical :D You can order a K-2006 kit from Taylor Technologies and have it in your hands within days. I just ordered reagents, my total was $70 so the shipping was free, and I had them the next day.
I assume Culinary Water means Potable or drinking water so possibly it is chlorinated if it comes from the local water company. Either way you will need to put some Stabilizer or Conditioner in to get the CYA level up to around 30+.

I buy my liquid Chlorine bulk at the Pool Supplier (13%) or Walmart / Sams (Ultra unscented 6%) The cost depends on the market at the time. I never buy less than about 20 gallons. It will keep if it is out of the sun in as cool of a place you can find.

I'd probably put in about 2.5 gallons to start (which will bring 15K up to 10ppm)(it will burn off quickly in the sun) then get the CYA level up to help keep it there. After the CYA is up to around 30+ you should be able to let the FC go down to around 2 or 3.

Good luck