PDA

View Full Version : Left pump out all winter in MO, dead now...

Sauce
05-21-2007, 04:40 PM
New pool owner and I left my pump out all winter but I drained the filter. Today I tried starting my pump but it was dead.

Did it freeze and mess up the electric? Can I reset it anyway? Or does it look like I need a new pump?

It's a hayward 1.0 hp sp1510, 3 years old.

Basically, I just want to know if I can reset, repair it myself, get it repeaired, or just get a new one? thx.

waste
05-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Sauce, does the motor hum, or is it completely dead?

You can try to power it up and give the motor a couple of good raps with a 2X4 - this could 'free up' a rusted starter switch.

If it hums, turn off the power and open the pump lid, remove the basket and try to use a screwdriver though the back hole to turn the impeller, if you can get it to turn, replace basket and turn the pump on again - it should start drawing water.

If neither of these work, I'll try to describe a couple of other ways to do it. Actually there are some links I'll try to find which may help..
(not to be offensive, but is the breaker for the pump on, check to make sure it didn't just trip out)

tenax
05-21-2007, 08:27 PM
this could be a dumb question..but because i for one have done it..do you have a breaker on it that maybe you forgot to turn on..it's just weird that it appears to be dead..i leave mine sitting out (albeit in a big pool shed but no heat) all winter long and have done that since i bought the house with pool 5 years ago..with no problem. you could take the end cap off it it has one and see if the 2 wires connected to the switch (v shape on the end in my sta-rite pumps) are solid..i was working on my pump which was rebuilt last year and one wire basically pulled right off the connector..nothing that a chunk of 18 guage and some new end connectors didn't fix in 10 minutes:))

Sauce
05-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Sauce, does the motor hum, or is it completely dead?

You can try to power it up and give the motor a couple of good raps with a 2X4 - this could 'free up' a rusted starter switch.

If it hums, turn off the power and open the pump lid, remove the basket and try to use a screwdriver though the back hole to turn the impeller, if you can get it to turn, replace basket and turn the pump on again - it should start drawing water.

If neither of these work, I'll try to describe a couple of other ways to do it. Actually there are some links I'll try to find which may help..
(not to be offensive, but is the breaker for the pump on, check to make sure it didn't just trip out)

Waste... you were right on man!

At first, it didn't make a noise when I plugged it in... so I took your advice and whacked it... then it hummed. So then, I unplugged and got the impeller to turn like you said, plugged back in, and it was working like a charm!

You saved me a lot of time and $$$! Thanks!

This winter I'm taking it inside though ;)

waste
05-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Sauce, glad to have helped but I've got to give credit for the 2X4 trick to Poconos (and perhaps Matt and/ or Mas & maybe even others) - I didn't know about the starter 'freezing up' till I saw a couple of threads where it was mentioned.

poolbee
05-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Are you talking about an AG pump? My builder closed my pool this winter and all equipment was left outside. We were told not to cover the heater because it makes it more inviting to unwanted guests(mice, etc.). I live near Buffalo,NY. It is occasionally cold and sometimes snows

tenax
05-23-2007, 01:02 PM
my 2 cents..if i had a heater/pump outdoors, once drained well, i'd cover with secure plastic.

waste
05-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Poolbee, type of pump isn't all that important, they all work the same - however, if you have a DoughBoy, the motors are shrouded and should minimise the effects of being left out all winter. (BTW - my brother lives in Jamestown and either you don't get the same weather or are a master of litotes).
What kind of heater do you have? The mice don't destroy all, they just get fried when it fires (:evil grin:)