PDA

View Full Version : Topping off water level

pool newby
05-20-2007, 03:56 PM
I usually try to keep my water level at the upper middle of the skimmer, the installer pointed out using the the 3rd screw up as a reference guide, it seems to keep the pump happy, and makes vacuuming easier without sucking in too much air hooking up the vac hose and causing the pump to lose prime. However, it seems that it never stays at this level for long, and I end up topping off the water level about once a week or so, and adding about an inch to an 1 1/2. I don;t beleive I have a leak, but probably just normal evaporation, splash out, etc.

Wondering how often every else one tops off?

NWMNMom
05-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Do you use a pool cover of some sort (solar blanket, etc) I top my pool off after heavy splash swimming and when the temps get into the mid-upper 90s I need to around once every 10 days IF the temps stay up there but thats not for a very long stretch of time here, mostly just the month of July, then we don't top off unless we lose water to splash. I actually keep my pool above the middle of the skimmer at around 1/2 - 3/4" from the top of the opening. Also, my skimmer sits VERY high up in the pool so the combination of those two things allows me to keep a lot of water in the pool. With the solar cover on whenever we are not swimming, we lose much less water to evaporation and we also keep the pool a lot cleaner - much less crap, bugs, pollen, etc. that the skimmer needs to work cleaning off.

For $74 you may want to look at an Autofill unit if you are very concerned about water loss. A lot of places sell them. Rapid water loss could also signal a small leak somewhere.

pool newby
05-20-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't use any sort of pool cover. I was originally concerned about a leak, but I don;t think so, always stays consistent around the next screw hole down on the skimmer, and no loss of water during the winter months. Also, no spongy bottom anywhere, or wet area around the sides that I can see, that makes me think it must be evaporation.

NWMNMom
05-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Well that must be a relief to know its not leaking at least. Your choices then would be fill on a regular basis, get an Auto-fill device or put on a cover which will cut down on the evaporation, still have to fill sometimes but a lot less.

RavenNS
05-21-2007, 03:44 PM
I never top it off,( well except for intial filling in spring),because it rains a lot in Nova Scotia

matt4x4
05-22-2007, 09:09 AM
A solar cover will greatly decrease the amount of evaporation you get, without a solar cover, you lose about 1/4 to 1/2 inch on a sunny day, solar cover on, literally nothing evaporates, only for the periods you use the pool.

Phillbo
05-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I top off weekly at a minimum.. When it's 100* and 6% humidity you can almost see the water line dropping :eek: