PDA

View Full Version : Heater recommendations?

geordie
04-22-2006, 06:59 PM
I think I've decided that solar probably isn't going to work for me too well. We have a garage roof that would accomodate solar panels, but I don't think it gets enough sun when the trees are leafed out.

I would like to raise our pool temps by at least 10 degrees in the shoulder seasons. We have a propane tank that connects to our garage furnace in the winter, and that would be available to me for a heater the rest of the year.

Does anyone have any experience with above ground propane heaters? Obviously I'm looking for a decent bang for the buck.

Jean

CarlD
04-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Give where fossil fuel prices are going these days, you may want to re-think solar or a heat pump (which are very efficient). Either, if properly planned, should be able to meet your needs burning less dinosaurs.

geordie
04-23-2006, 09:44 AM
The only southern (or suitable) roof nearby is my garage, and the neighbor's trees may be a problem. I can't tell right now for certain because the tree doesn't really have leaves yet. Carl, I've read your posts about solar panels, but do you think I can gain enough to warm the water as much as I'd like in spring and fall?

Frequently our temps jump high enough in early spring that I can open the pool and have it up and running within a week. This spring is different and I'm afraid I'm going to have to open it while the water is still quite cold. I hate doing the work when it is too cold to use! :-)

Even when we have an early hot spring, August nights start to cool off a lot, and although we may get daytime highs near 90, it drops into the 40s at night and even covered the pool doesn't recover enough to be warm the next day.

I would love a heat pump, but I don't think I'm going to have that amount to spend this spring before we open. I would love to go the solar route if I thought it would actually give me the +10 I'm looking for.

Jean

CarlD
04-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Jean:
How big is your pool and how many hours of sunshine do you get? How warm do you want your pool?

We are seeing 87 banging on $3/gal here, and premium close to $4. This will impact ALL fossil fuels--and propane and natural gas prices will rise alot to compensate. If cost is an issue on a heat pump, what will it cost per month to run the gas heater?

Ballpark, gas heaters seem to run $1000-$1500, and heat pumps from $2500 to $4000. So figure a heat pump to cost $1500 more on average, before installation. Both require an electrician. But where you must have plumber rig the gas, you can do all the plumbing on the HP yourself.

So maybe an extra $500 for the install on gas. Now how long will it take that gas heater to eat up the $1000 you saved? That's the question. If it's within one season, it's a bad investment. And propane costs a lot more usually than natural gas.

I could have the figures wrong, and you have to figure in the cost of running the heat pump, but you get the idea.

To give you an idea of how little you need for solar to be effective: My parents had an 18x33 13,000 AG. I put in a 4x20 and 4x10 panel for them. The panels were on the ground, and only got 6 hours of sun a day. The pool, which in the past had NEVER gotten higher than 80 and usually was 78, now was 84-86 all summer. The panels also warmed the ground under them, so they could run for a couple of hours after the sun passed and still be effective. Remember: If the water from the panel is ANY warmer than the pool, even 1 degree, it's helping.

Combine that with careful use of a solar blanket to insulate at night, on cool days, and when you aren't using the pool, and you can effectively warm your pool with no energy costs.

Just IMHO.
Carl

geordie
04-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks Carl,

It is opinions I'm looking for ;-). I am not new at pools, but I'm new at thinking about heating the thing. I'm getting wimpy as I get older and I just don't enjoy it less than 85 anymore. My kids are mid teens now, and no longer want to swim at 75 like they have for the last six years. They have turned in to hot house flowers, like me!

I was positive I was going to go solar this year, but even if it is economical I don't want to put my husband through the install if it isn't going to help. I don't have to worry about the electrician or plumber costs, but like everyone else am concerned with LP and gas costs.

The pool itself is 24 round, 48" deep. Roughly 12-13K gallons. Gets sun almost all day. Oddly enough, it is the only place on my property that does. My garage roof has a side that faces south. If my neighbor's tree interferes, it wouldn't be until late afternoon, but in the late summer and fall that late afternoon time is the period in which the sun is the strongest. I figure worst case scenario I'll get six hours a day of sun on the garage roof.

I would like to push the pool from 75-78 to 85 degrees during late spring and early fall (May and August- early September). In June the pool usually hits 85 on its own without using a solar blanket. July is unpredictable.

Just measured the garage and it appears the roof area is 20x8 give or take a couple of inches.

Jean

Piney
05-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Good discussion on solar heaters vs others--I've been considering a heater (propane- no gas feeds here)

Quick question--

In general, how close to the pool or pump/filter systems does a solar pannel system need to be ?

Thanks--

geordie
05-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Piney,

Carl and a couple of others here have good experience with solar panels so will be able to answer your question when they see it. The size of your pump will be important to the answer, especially if you are talking about mounting it on a roof instead of at ground/pool level.

I gave up on the solar thing myself. I've managed for many years without a heater and although I've become a bit of a pansy... I'll just keep on going. I don't think we're going to get much sun this spring anyway, so I don't regret my decision yet. I might in September when the pool starts dipping into the 70s again.

Jean