PDA

View Full Version : How to clean the cartridge filter?

west1745
04-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi to all,

Love this forum - just ordered their test kit - new IG pool in FL (Durazzo plaster)

Anyway, what is the RIGHT way or a GOOD way to clean the cartridge filter for a pool? It seems that mine, even though it is new on January 13th of this year, gets clogged really fast - within a week.

I have to spend a lot of time hosing it with a pressure hose - there seems to be some fine dirt or algae inside - although doubt it is the latter because the clorine has been a little high. I do have a leaf catcher and there doesn't seem to be that much debris. We always clean the cartridge after we vacuum once a week.

Not sure if there is a trick or if I need a new cartridge or to soak in bleach water?

HELP!! Thanks!!

PS - it is the paper type cartridge - 100 sq feet Pentair

SJohnson
04-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Here's another post about this . . .

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=606

Hope that helps!!

SJ

PS. Ben, already referencing other posts, it's amazing how fast this board is filling up!!

west1745
04-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Here's another post about this . . .

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=606

Hope that helps!!

SJ

PS. Ben, already referencing other posts, it's amazing how fast this board is filling up!!

Thank you very much - that thread helped a lot. I have been cleaning the cartridge filter once or twice a week with the hose - but will use the "soak in dishwasher detergent and then treat with acid/water" to boost my efforts.

My pool pump is a little unique - it runs on low speed continuously except for 3 hours a day when it is on high speed - so maybe that is why it is getting clogged more frequently? Plus our pool is new so the plaster if curing.

Looks like it could help to have 2 cartridges so we have one in the soaking process and one in use - makes it easier/faster to change them out and we will be inclined to do that more frequently which is probably good for the pump.

Just love this site - have learned so much about a pool here.