PDA

View Full Version : new pump air

rayh78
05-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Just got a new Hayward 1 hp above ground pump.
There is no air bubble traped in the top of the strainer basket. But I can just barley see a few very small bubbles comeing into the strainer basket if I look in.
Should I be able to see any at all?
Did install a PVC ball valve between the pump and lomart skimmer and maybe that was a problem?
Not leaking, but did have to install some self sealing tape around the barb on the lomart skimmer.
It seems it was made for a 1 1/4" hose instead of the normal 1 1/2" hose.

Thanks for any suggestions.

waste
05-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Ray, welcome to the forum!:)

If you want to find the cause, gently pour some water on any suspect fitting or part and see if the air bubbles go away (a garden hose turned on just enough to 'dribble out' works well for this). The places to look include, the plugs on the pump housing, the pump lid, and any connections between the skimmer and the pump. If you find the leak, you'll know where to aply some more teflon/ tighten a clamp.

hrsdennis
05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Hi Ray, Welcome. I would first apply lubricant to the hair and lint pot o-ring. If that does not help I think the advice from Waste was perfect.

Another trick to add to my bag, thanks.

Something else to check, suction side leaks will suck air with the filter running and leak water with the filter off. Most of the time.

Dennis

matt4x4
05-18-2007, 07:06 AM
I find that sometimes, a vortex happens in the skimmer and air gets pulled in along side the water.
Was doing some maintenance on the pool yesterday and noticed this again, usually it happens when your water is on the low side and there's less spillover into the skimmer, however, my water level is relatively high right now but I'm not running the basket in the skimmer at the moment which is the reason the vortex is allowed to pass air right down into the intake hose - might want to look at that before anything else.

leejp
05-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Sometimes you can spot leaks with Foam Shaving Cream sprayed on to the fittings/valves. You'll see a section "collapsing" faster.

waste
05-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Another trick to add to my bag, thanks.

Dennis - 'de nada' :p
To learn more, so that I can do my job better, is why I came here - I'd imagine that you are similarly inclined. I have no! problem passing on the stuff I know and the 'little tricks' I've picked up over the years. I've learned sooo much here that the least I can do is help any of the other members that I can. :)

Hope you have a good season!! - Ted