PDA

View Full Version : pool heater question

boomer99
05-14-2007, 12:31 PM
I have a vinyl 12,500 gallon IG pool, about 6 years old, opened last week without a problem. I run the pump 24/7, except when the kids are in the pool. Saturday was our first swim day and I turned on the heater in the morning. About eight hours later, wife turns pump off so kids can swim, but neglects to turn off the heater. Two hours later, I discover what happened and turn heater off and pump back on. Everything seems ok, but I'm concerned about any damage from having heater on without water pumping through it.

Is there anything special to look for or monitor in this situation? Should it be safe to turn the heater back on this weekend? Should I have a service person come out and take a look at the heater?

Thanks,

JohnT
05-14-2007, 12:42 PM
The heater should have a flow switch in it so it only comes on when the pump is on. If it didn't it would have cooked itself.

cleancloths
05-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Why do you turn pump off when you use the pool - most people turn it on when using a pool.

JohnT
05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Why do you turn pump off when you use the pool - most people turn it on when using a pool.

True, sanitation wise that's the best way to operate.

boomer99
05-14-2007, 08:00 PM
This kids don't like the Kreepy Krauly operating while they are in the pool and turning off the pump seemed the easiest way to humor them.

Would I be correct in assuming that if things are working well so far, it would be ok to turn on the heater this weekend? Any damage should be apparent by now, right?

Thanks for the advice everyone.

waste
05-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Boomer, you've got to remove the Kreepy when people are using the pool!!!!! The hose poses an 'enanglement' possibility and someone could (potentially) drown!:(
Safety is the primary concern! Pull Mr. Kreepy out when folks go in, and leave the system running.