PDA

View Full Version : First Test Results

psbailey
05-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Hello, Everyone.

I opened the pool (50,000 gallon, concrete pool) on Thursday afternoon. We really dosed it with bleach on Thu and Fri. and the color is good, albiet cloudy. I just tested and here are my results:

FC: 22
CC: 1
TC: 23
pH: 7.2
Alk: 80
Cal: 280
Temp: 80 F.

Thoughts on how to get rid of the cloudyness? Thanks!

chem geek
05-13-2007, 01:47 PM
What's your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level? Keep your filter running 24/7 and maintain the high FC, though we really need to know the CYA level to know if the chlorine is effective. Is the FC dropping overnight? If so, then you've got algae. If the FC holds overnight and the cloudiness doesn't clear within a few days, then a clarifier can be used, but that is usually not required.

Richard

psbailey
05-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks, Chem Geek, for your reply.

I just tested my CYA and it is 65.

I'll post my FC reading tomorrow morning.

Paul

chem geek
05-14-2007, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the added info. Since you have CCs you have something in your pool that's combining with some chlorine and also causing cloudiness. IF this is mustard/yellow algae, then it will require (at your CYA level) about 35 ppm FC to get rid of, but see what happens at your current FC level first since you didn't report any mustard yellow dust/dirt like substance. Also, be sure to keep the pool uncovered during the day and have it exposed to sunlight. I'm betting that you are just still in the last stages of clearing the pool from regular algae and it should clear soon if that's the case.

Richard

psbailey
05-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks for your reply, Richard.

The FC reading was 23 this am and the TC was 23.5.

I don't think I have a yellow/mustard algea problem. Its clearer today than it was yesterday.

Can the high TC level cause cloudiness? Will the pool become clearer as the chlorine levels come down?

Thanks,

Paul

chem geek
05-14-2007, 06:48 PM
No, the high FC (which is what makes the TC high) should not cause cloudiness (at least not by itself -- chlorine can raise pH and that combined with high CH and TA can cause cloudiness, but that's not your situation). I suspect it's just clearing up the last of the algae or other organics that have been in the pool. Just keep circulation running and keep the FC high until it's clear, then let the FC drop, then adjust the pH (if needed) and have fun in your pool!

Richard