PDA

View Full Version : Second season of BBB, opening numbers not so good

sspine
05-12-2007, 07:25 PM
I need help with my first test of season. Last year was our 1st full season using the BBB method. We were amazed at how easy, inexpensive and how beautiful the pool was all season. It is a great method and thank you all for your contributions.

I didn't think we would have the same problems opening this year as we did last year having the BioGuard residues left from previous years. But again our alkalinity is high and CYA 0. Have added about 16" of well water. Here are our numbers. Would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks, Sandy

[sorry posted this earlier as a reply to a similar thread & I think it got missed]

22,000 gal, 16x32 ig vinyl (added Polyquat at closing)
300# sand filter

Temp=68
C, FC, TC ALL =0
PH=7.4
TA=200
CYA=0

Watermom
05-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Go ahead and get some bleach in there before your pool turns green! You will also need to add some cya or you will not be able to keep any chlorine in the pool. Add enough per label directions to get you to about 25 or 30 ppm. There are differing opinions on the best way to add cya. I always add mine to the skimmer and let it dissolve in the filter. Remember it takes about a week to totally dissolve, so don't retest for it or add more before that time or you may end up adding more when you don't need to. Then, the only way to lower it is to do a partial drain. Until the cya begins to dissolve, you will probably need to test your chlorine morning and evening and each time, add some bleach. After you start getting a cya reading, you'll be able to just test and dose with bleach in the evenings. Another option that some people choose is to use dichlor for awhile as it will add chlorine and cya at the same time and then, when your cya level is where you want it, just switch to bleach. I don't do this, but some people do. It is your call. Either way will work.

Your alk is a little high, but not extremely. It shouldn't be a problem for a few days. Right now, just work on getting chlorine and cya in there. Then, you can work on the alk. Ph is good at 7.4. Hope this helps and welcome back to the forum!

(I remember seeing your other post tacked on to the other thread. I'm going to find it again, and delete it so all replies will be here in this thread.)