PDA

View Full Version : starting conversion ???

larry b
05-11-2007, 11:32 AM
ok Ill try to make this simple, 28ft above ground sand filter, milw wi, took cover off not to bad i put 4gallons of 12,5% shock on thursday, water is milkey white now, filter now running, how many gallons of shock to keep the level up to 10-15ppm. I only have the 6-way wally world test now. i think the level is at o so should i put 4more gallons in??? in the other notes i saw that u mix 1pt pool h2o with 2pts distilled water x2 is this correct, and also when i have more Questions is this were i post it ? need to be led on the correct path thanks alot. lar what up with the bleach calulator explain

JohnT
05-11-2007, 12:13 PM
When you go to test the water, you can mix two parts (shot glasses, tablespoons or cups, it doesn't matter) of distilled water to one part pool water. Test the mixture, and then multiply the reading by three.

2.2 gallons of the 12.5% shock should put your water at 15ppm from zero. How much it will take to keep it there depends on too many things to guess. Just keep testing and adding as often as necessary. The bleachcalc is a PC application that will calculate most of the common chemical quantities for a desired ppm change, or the ppm change for a given amount of chemical. Really handy.

Post your questions in this same thread and you'll get help. Patience is the key to getting the mess cleaned up.

larry b
05-11-2007, 12:39 PM
thanks will have more ????? later oh 17.000 gallons in the pool by the way

larry b
05-12-2007, 08:22 PM
day 1: soupy green with floating stuff, added 4-gallons of shock (thurs)
day 2: dirty green cant see bottom added 4more gallons shock 12.5% tested with strips thats what i have money thing, did buy wally world 6-way but seems weird to me.(friday) tested it, was like copper orange???
day 3: (Sat morn) woke up, vac bottom of pool for a hour couldnt see bottom but i knew there was stuff on the bottom, went to work for 8-hours had the wife test h20 was at 0 added 4-gallons shock, at four hours later she tested water was 5ppm had her add 2-more gallons to get it to 10-15ppm, its now 6pm Im home from work.(sat)

Didnt know what to expect dirty green water?? Add more shock?? Oh may G-d
something transformed when i was gone the water is almost clear i mean clean!!!!!! Vaccuumed all the scum on the bottom, then Im running my barracuuda for a couple of hours, I cant believe its clear, really Im like a kid in a candy store. Ill test when i go to bed and also sunday morn, so now what do i do, besides looking at clear water Hay!!!!!!!!

Watermom
05-12-2007, 09:13 PM
When you can shock at night and have pretty much the same chlorine level the next morning, you are home free. After your conversion, you'll need to change your filter media.

larry b
05-12-2007, 10:13 PM
glad to here from u:
Iknow about the filter change, any insight about the next step for chemicals, its cold right now 50 i didnt think it would clear so fast, so to keep it clear thats all about chorine, right also with the other stuff.

Watermom
05-12-2007, 11:08 PM
After you get to the point where you are no longer losing chlorine overnight, you'll need to post current water testing results. Ph, Alk, cl. Obviously, you won't have any cya yet. That will be something you'll need to add. Post some current numbers and somebody can help you.

larry b
05-13-2007, 10:51 AM
sunday morn chorline reading around 5 it was 15ppm at 10pm last night,do i want it back to 15ppm, and hold 15ppm through out the day and through the night till morn?? sorry a little confused

aylad
05-13-2007, 03:35 PM
sunday morn chorline reading around 5 it was 15ppm at 10pm last night,do i want it back to 15ppm, and hold 15ppm through out the day and through the night till morn?? sorry a little confused

Yes, you want it back up to 15, and keep it there until it's still at the 15 throughout the night and into the morning. Hang in there, you're almost there!!

Janet

larry b
05-13-2007, 07:52 PM
thanks alot, Im back home tested water its back to 5ppm added 2-gallons 12.5% shock to get to 15ppm, will test 10pm and also in the morn, 16 gallons into the conversion, even if the water is very clear i must still have some baq, in the pool is that correct, will need some more gallons for monday-friday keep on shocking

aylad
05-13-2007, 09:29 PM
even if the water is very clear i must still have some baq, in the pool is that correct, will need some more gallons for monday-friday keep on shocking

Yes, you still either have some Baq or something else trying to grow in the pool...that's why your chlorine keeps dropping. Get some more bleach, keep shocking until your Cl level holds steady overnight.

Janet

larry b
05-15-2007, 11:52 AM
hopeful putting this in the right place: Its tues morn, but as of monday i was holding 15ppm overnight monday and tues, so thats a good thing monday was 90 and sunny lost all my chorline during the day because i dont have cya yet, (I think) next step is changing my sand then cya then what?? haveing a couple of bad weather days so changing my sand will have to wait till thur or friday, what ppm should i keep my chorline at this week while Im in the stand by mode????, also Im thinking of going with the tri-chlor pucks that float around the pool, so thats were Im at i think Im all done with the convertion. ON these pucks how many do u use in the pool 28ft 17000gals above ground (( Its wed i changed my sand and up and running clorine level is back to 0 due to sun and not haveing cya. haveing changed my sand how should i handle the cya dont want to put to much in, help would be nice, Its like Im a newibe with this new system, will get soon i hope.))) My other numbers are ok for now.