PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to shock?

poolbee
05-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Pool was opened today. It is crystal clear. My FC is 5, CC is .5 pH is 7.4
I was unable to to CYA because I am out of reagent and can't get to Leslie's right now-son has my car. The pool company didn't add any chemicals because they let SWG owners shock by boosting-which I never do.
With these values, do I even need to shock? The water temp is 60.
Also, should I add any polyquat now just for good measure?

Last year, my first year with the pool, I only shocked once after some bad rains, using some shock the pool company left with me. I only used polyquat when it was very hot as a weekly preventative.
BTW- what a rip to have the pool co. open. They really don't have much to do. A BIL is going to show me exactly how he opens his pool next spring. I'll gladly pay him a few beers for that!

poolbee
05-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Sorry- I found a post that answers my question. What about polyquat though. Do most use that at opening?

JohnT
05-11-2007, 10:59 AM
With a SWCG, I'd be hesitant to do so. I'd expect it will take care of the CC on its own.

Jeffski
05-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm assuming the only cause for concern is the .5 CC reading? What answer did you find? Inquiring minds want to know!

poolbee
05-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Jeffski,
here is a thread just a little down from this one.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=6855

I threw in a few cups of bleach and my CC is 0 now. I have my SWG set low since it isn't very warm now. I'd rather throw bleach in every now and then until it's warmer.

aylad
05-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Sorry- I found a post that answers my question. What about polyquat though. Do most use that at opening?

I have never used Polyquat in my pool--it won't do anything that proper chlorination won't take care of! I think those who do use Polyquat usually use it at closing, or just before a metals treatment, where the chlorine has to be at a minimum.

Janet

PhantomAndy
05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Sounds like you have it figured out.

It won't hurt to use bleach to bump your FC levels and try to get your CC down to zero.

Regarding Polyquat: I use a quart at close, and if I get a stubborm algae issue during the hotter parts of the summer I'll use another quart. I've never adopted any kind of regular weekly dosing.

As stated, proper chlorine levels will take care of things without polyquat, but it does work as a quick shortcut to getting rid of algae problems.