PDA

View Full Version : Water Hardness 498

Phillbo
05-10-2007, 07:26 PM
What do I do to get the hardness down :eek:

Watermom
05-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Doing a partial drain is the only way to lower the calcium hardness level.

chem geek
05-10-2007, 10:24 PM
I would add that you should test your fill water and if it has a similarly high CH level, then the only other option is to use a water softener, but it's a huge task for a large volume of water (i.e. would need lots of recharging frequently). Well water is often high in CH and some people have "whole house" water softeners. If you get a pool with an initial CH that is good, but have fill water with high CH, then using a water softener on the fill water is reasonable -- but for an entire pool with already high CH it's difficult.

Richard

waterbear
05-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Where did you get a test reading of water hardness 498 ppm? It's sort of a strange number for a hardness test, even when a colorimeter is used. Is that for total hardness or calcium hardness? If it is total hardness then your calcium hardness might not be too high at all.

CarlD
05-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Yes, if you drop test you'll get 490 or 500ppm, not 498.

Test it yourself to be sure.

Phillbo
05-11-2007, 10:28 AM
It is Total Hardness.

I have to admit to allowing a Pool Store to test my water (i'm ashamed). I was going in to buy a new floaty chair and decided to take in a sample to calibrate my Salt Test . They use the test strips/computer system.

Other than adding a little Baking Soda for the TA the water is balanced. The hardness jumped out at me.

It was a new fill last summer and our city water is naturally hard. I guess I'll live with it.

chem geek
05-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Your Calcium Hardness may be around 350 since it's smaller than Total Hardness which also includes the hardness from Magnesium. The actual ratio of Calcium and Magnesium varies by type of water source -- the factor of dividing by 1.4 that I used is based on a Calcium to Magnesium ratio of 4 to 1 (the hardness readings are in ppm calcium carbonate equivalent while the ratio is based on ppm of the ions themselves). In some areas where I live, the ratio is closer to 2.6 to 1 so the factor to get Calcium Hardness is 1.6 which would mean in your case something closer to 300 ppm.

The bottom line is that your CH is probably not far from where it should be.

Richard

Phillbo
05-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks all.. I guess if this is the worse thing I have to worry about then I should be ok.

A couple more 100*+ days here in Az and I'll be swimmin' soon :D