PDA

View Full Version : Whick Kit?

grangerhj
05-09-2007, 02:26 PM
I have run out of reagents in my test kit- ordered from Taylor this past weekend - I am in the midst of attempting to clear an algae bloom- The walmart HTH 5 test kit does not test for free chlorine or CC- What other kit is out there to get- Leslies has some kit DPD but only reads chlorine to 5 ppm- Help Please!:confused:

JohnT
05-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Dilute your pool water sample with distilled water. Mix 3 parts distilled water to 1 part pool water, test the mixture, then multiply the reading by 4.

CarlD
05-09-2007, 03:20 PM
You can buy, either from TaylorTechnologies or Leslies, just a FAS-DPD Chlorine test kit that tests FC and CC up to 50ppm. This is the key to Ben's PS-234, Taylor's K-2006C and Leslies FAS-DPD Chlorine Service test kit. You can buy JUST that for about $20 and super-charge your HTH kit.

grangerhj
05-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Thank you for your help on my way back to Leslies:)

CarlD
05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Thank you for your help on my way back to Leslies:)

Oops...the store probably won't have it, but you can order it online easily. I don't know if the store can order it for you.

Also, be prepared for the clerk to look at you as if you are speaking Patagonian when you talk about FAS-DPD testing.

grangerhj
05-09-2007, 07:27 PM
You were quite right- the clerk thought I was speaking a foreign language- anyway I purchased their DPD kit- I figured that it was better than nothing and I could subract free chlorine from total to get my CC. My problem of course is that the calibrations are to 5 ppm- if I add 3 parts distilled water to one part pool water and multiply x 4 that is still only getting me to 20 ppm- I have been trying to stay above 20 to kill an algae bloom that I have been battling since Sunday. So 9 parts distilled water to 1 part pool water and multiply by 10 appears to be my only option (am I right?)- Any other suggestions?

CarlD
05-09-2007, 07:51 PM
I don't think the dilution method works with DPD testing, only with OTO testing.

I strongly suggest you order the FAS-DPD test.

grangerhj
05-09-2007, 08:31 PM
I ordered replacement reagents on Monday from Taylor- just not here yet

CarlD
05-10-2007, 07:02 AM
I ordered replacement reagents on Monday from Taylor- just not here yet

Great! That should help.

chem geek
05-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Carl,

I think that dilution of the pool water with filtered or bottled water (i.e. water that doesn't have chlorine or monochloramine in it) should work for all test methods, including DPD. It simply dilutes all pool chemicals that are in the water and this is done before any testing is done (i.e. before even the powder gets added). I don't think the DPD or any other chlorine test depends on the other pool chemicals being at a certain level to be accurate (CH, TA and CYA).

This link (http://www.taylortechnologies.com/products_PotenInterf.asp?KitID=2450) to the "Potential Interferences" section for one of the Taylor DPD tests says "Chlorine levels > approx. 10 ppm may bleach out indicator; to prevent, dilute sample with DI water as necessary and retest." So I think dilution is OK for this test.

Richard

grangerhj
05-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Thank you- it is all I have at this point.