PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new pump, air problem

rayh78
05-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Have AG pool with a 10-year-old Jacuzzi brand 1 hp pump and sand filter.
Just started pool up and when I turn off pump there is a backflow that would blow the top off the lomart skimmer.
Noticed I had some air bubbles in cover of strainer basket so replaced the gasket. This solved about 75% of it, now just a little back flow. And when turn off pump the strainer basket does not keep full of water. Guess I still have an air leak but cant find it. Top clear cover of strainer basket no longer shows any air bubbles when running. But I do see a small stream of air bubbles in the hose the connects the pump to the filter. ( I use a heavy clear hose).
Thanks for any suggestions.

rayh78
05-08-2007, 01:23 PM
found problem dont quite understand why.
But the pressure guage did not seem to be reading right and was old.
Replaced guage and when I did a burst of air came out of sand filter. Put in new guage and everything works great like it should.

matt4x4
05-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Ray - the way to bleed out any remaining air from the filter unit is to loosen the pressure guage (highest point), so that's not surprising, however, air in the pipe from the pump to the filter does not get cured by that, the air is likely being sucked in through a leak on the pump lid gasket or somewhere between skimmer and pump. Low water levels in skimmers have a tendency to pull air in with the water vortex.
Baskets getting "burped" out of the skimmer when pump is shut off is relatively normal and is not necessarily a sign of air backing out of your system.