PDA

View Full Version : Backwash question

donfranko
05-06-2007, 12:14 PM
After removing an dcleaning DE grids my start up pressure was about 3 psi lower than last years running level - about 7 psi.

Opened yesterday, ran filter 24 hours and vacumed today and pressure is about 11 -12 psi. Does it make sens e to back wash this quick? I just added new DE yesterday but did do extensive vacuming.

thanks
Hayward DE 7220

Jeffski
05-06-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm no expert but here is what I do. When you vacuum you're putting tons of guck into your filter, so I usually backwash every time I vacuum. That will lower your pressure and keep the water that's going back into your pool cleaner.

donfranko
05-06-2007, 01:19 PM
thanks, since DE is pretty cheap, it's probably a wise idea.

Watermom
05-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I do not backwash every time I vacuum unless I vacuum up a whole lot of debris - which I usually don't. Really, the only time I vacuum up much is upon opening. Otherwise, just watch your filter pressure. When it rises 8-10 psi, it is time to backwash. Actually it is thought that dirty sand is actually a little better at filtering so you don't want to backwash too often.

Jeffski
05-06-2007, 01:42 PM
How important is the rinse cycle and what does it do? I was not taught to rinse by my PB and have never done so.

Watermom
05-06-2007, 01:54 PM
You should rinse for about 30 seconds or so after every time that you backwash. There is probably a small clear sight glass. You can tell when the water is clear. It usually takes around 30 seconds for my pool. (At least this is true for sand filters. If I am wrong about DE filters, somebody please chime in.)