PDA

View Full Version : CYA Reagent

drumr
05-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I have an Aquachem test kit (Wal-mart) and need just the CYA reagent. I couldn't find just that reagent for the Aquachem and was wondering if anyone knew if they were all the same. Could I get the reagent from Taylor and it work with the Aquachem setup. I believe I am using a 25 ml sample and probaly another 25 ml of reagent then into the tube of the dissappearing black dot.

Thanks,
JD

aylad
05-06-2007, 10:56 AM
I have an Aquachem test kit (Wal-mart) and need just the CYA reagent. I couldn't find just that reagent for the Aquachem and was wondering if anyone knew if they were all the same. Could I get the reagent from Taylor and it work with the Aquachem setup. I believe I am using a 25 ml sample and probaly another 25 ml of reagent then into the tube of the dissappearing black dot.

Thanks,
JD

As far as I know, it's all the same stuff. I've bought CYA reagent at Leslie's that has worked just fine with both Ben's kit and with the Aquachem kit. Take a look at your instructions for the Aquachem kit--if there is an 800 number there, it would be worth calling it. Other members of the forum have posted that by calling the Aquachem number on the kit, they in the past have sent replacement reagents, sometimes free of charge.

Janet

NWMNMom
05-06-2007, 11:55 AM
our WM is selling the HTH kits now instead of Aquachem. There is only enough reagent to do 2 tests. More will need to be ordered. They sell replacements for the PH and OTO but never the CYA, thats the one that I need replacements for most often and end up buying a whole kit just for that.

waterbear
05-06-2007, 12:46 PM
You can use the Taylor CYA reagent with the Aquachem kit or the HTH kit with no problems.

drumr
05-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I will order some taylor reagent. I just bought this kit and have never actually tested my pool for CYA so when my first test came out zero I thought I did something wrong so I did it again and came out 0 again. I put some stabilizer in and now I am at 35. NWMNMom stated that you only get 2 test out of it, I got 4 out of this one, but now I am out.

JD

catnip
05-06-2007, 02:03 PM
AquaChem will replace the reagents if you call them (actually sent an entire new test kit). Just call the number in the guide that came with the kit. You may need to be persistent as they had some QC issues between the service support folks on the phone and the fulfillment warehouse. It took me three calls and a discussion with a manager who admitted the shipment issues. But, I got a new kit the next day by overnight delivery!!

On the other hand, I suggest you consider a "better" kit. I upgraded to the Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD and found that TA and CH were MUCH easier to measure with definite end points. In my case at least the AquaChem was essentially worthless on those two measurements. You also get more precise and higher range FC readings.

In either case you will need extra CYA reagent if you want to do more than a few tests.

NWMNMom
05-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Found that most places have the 2oz reagent for appx $7-8 but found one place with the 16oz for appx $10. Nothing in between. Don't know how long the CYA reagent stays "fresh" but I know I need somewhere more than 2oz a season but probably a lot less than 16oz. Hmmmmm

drumr
05-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Chuck,
I will give them (Aquachem) a call and see what they say. Maybe they will send some more for free or at least cheap. The whole kit is only $16. I bought 3 or 4 PH/OTO test kits last year at the end of the season when our local Wal-Mart had them on clearance for $1 each. I will probably upgrade to a Taylor test kit in the near future as it looks like I may be taking care of another pool in my local area and I would like to have the most accurate results as possible.

Thanks,
JD

catnip
05-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Taylor makes CYA reagent in 2 oz. and 16 oz. bottles, nothing in between. This site has the 16 oz. bottles for $5.90 + $5.00 shipping. Ben says the shelf life of the CYA reagent is "years" meaning more than 2-3 years. Looks like a pretty good deal to me.
https://asp5.secure-shopping.com/spspools/browse.asp?MOVE=NEXT&cat=1200&CurrentPage=2

hoffmans
05-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Heres a place that sells CYA reagent.
http://www.poolweb.com/Shop-On-Line/R-0013-Cyanuric-Acid
They have 5 different sizes.
3/4 oz = $2.20
2 oz = $3.29
16 oz = $7.67
32 oz = $11.53
Gallon size = $23.65
I bought 16oz last year. Shipping was around 10.00.

~Hoffmans