PDA

View Full Version : First full set of tests..

caustik
05-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Pool has been open for just over a week. Water is crystal clear other then some mornings when I see a couple ducks paddling around making waves! Seems leaving my solar cover on solves this problem really well.

TC - 5
FC - 5
CC - 0
TA - 100
PH - 7.8
CYA - 0
Hardness - 160
Salt - 2800

I have just added 2.5kg of CYA and 4kg of AquaCal for the hardness number. They also are suggesting to increase the TA. From my readings here I get the drift that it should be kept lower to make the pH easier to adjust. I see posts with some as low as 80. The pool store is suggesting to adjust upwards closer to 120. Can one of the experts comment on whether I should just leave it be.

Thanks.

Watermom
05-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Your TA is fine at 100. Also, in a vinyl pool you don't need to be adding calcium. That is just another thing pool stores tell you to try and increase their sales! Keep an eye on your ph, though. You don't want it any higher than 7.8. Also, don't retest or readd any more cya for at least a week to be sure you have given it plenty of time to dissolve fully. Otherwise, you can end up with more in there than you want and the only way to lower it is to do a partial drain.

caustik
05-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Watermom,

Thanks for the reply.

Good to know my TA is fine. I will leave it alone and add some muratic acid tonight to drop the pH a little.

I was aware the hardness was not a major concern in a vinyl pool. They had said it has an effect on my heater components. Do you know if that is a valid concern or not?

Since there is a 5 year warranty on the pool I don't want to give them any reason to deny my repair claims if need be.

I will do another CYA test in a week or so. Give me a chance to try out my new 2006-C kit that just showed up.