PDA

View Full Version : Redoing the pool setup... Hayward Perflex or Pro-Grid?

leejp
05-02-2007, 10:00 AM
I presently have a Hayward EC-65 with a 3/4HP pump. The pump seems a bit undersized but it was put in by a very reputable builder and has kept the pool clean for close to 20 years. I operate the pump ~12hrs/day in 4hr increments.

Given that this rig is 20 years old, it's obviously seen better days... The filter in particular is on its last legs (will need some new parts this year) but the pump is still operating well.

I am considering 3 options...

1. Replace the filter only with an EC-65 or EC-75 (same dimensions so no plumbing work required) for ~$4-500 and replace the pump/base within the next few seasons.

2. Replace the whole setup with an EC-75 and new new pump/base...

3. Replace the whole setup with a Hayward Pro-Grid filter/pump combination. ~$1200. I'm a bit hesitant with this since I know the ins/outs of the perflex filters.

If I keep the pump at 3/4HP but get a bigger filter. Overall I would be increasing the flow rate and therefore turning over the water more often, correct?

Additionally, I might want to add a pressure side cleaner at one point and if I can do it without a booster pump (like thepoolcleaner)... all the better.