PDA

View Full Version : Pool Deck

kanane
05-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi,istalled Ew 15x30 Agp Last Year And Built Wood Deck That
Had 1/2 Space Between Top Rail And Deck. Over The Winter The Wood Shrunk And Now The Gap Is 1 Inch.does Anybody Know Who Makes Spacers That I Could Lay Down To Cover Space.
Thankyou

NWMNMom
05-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Some people fill the gaps with foam or trim cut to fit. We have a MUCH larger gap to fill of appx 6" (DH went overboard on making sure there was room to maintain things) so will actually have a "finish" board that overlaps both the top rail and header/last board on the deck - there is a hinge on the board at the deck side so that it flips up to leave the gap open for maintenance like dealing with the winter cover, removing rails, etc.

hrsdennis
05-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Hey Mom, any chance of getting photos of that. The best way to install an overlap liner is to stretch it over the top rails and then add the water. Decks can really mess up my way of doing things. You may be on to something big :)

Thanks, Dennis

haze_1956
05-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Most composite decking is an inch thick and is water resistant.

I have a piece sitting on my top rail with the decking screwed to it, stiffens and supports the edge, yet can be removed.

NWMNMom
05-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Dennis, we are installing our new Biltmore Steps this weekend and finishing off the deck edge - it was partially done but it works great. I will try and remember to take pictures.

Our deck is composite and most brands (our is ChoiceDek) have that one size larger/wider header board you can buy (10") and that makes a PERFECT piece for the overlap - the nice workers at Lowes were kind enough to cut the piece to my specs for me before I left the store so I didn't have to haul the pickup down there for one 16' board. BTW, this "flip up" finish spacer board was my little lightbulb moment - DH was skeptical, but when it got on there he was smiling. I think it looks nice and like we planned it all along rather than a "OH OH, now what?" kind of fix it job.