PDA

View Full Version : Patio block question

NWMNMom
04-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Never did find out, do we need or NOT need patio blocks under uprights of an oval buttress free in the north where it is subject to freeze and frost heaves with winter/spring? We have severe winters here, sometimes the ground is saturated in our area so there are some issues with frost movement in the ground.

We were told when purchasing that we needed 12x12x1" blocks under each upright so we bought 22 of them and they sit stacked and waiting for our installation in the coming weeks. If putting blocks under the uprights/patio base plates (pool claims to have "oversized" patio base plates) will cause the wall to buckle in the spring with frost changes, I want to bring them back while I can. Any advise please????

chazzilla
04-21-2006, 10:14 PM
My instructions called for them, but I am in Arkansas, and my install was not buttress free. I would just put them in for peace of mind if it was me. It is not that much more work, and I feel it wouldn't hurt. Hope this helps!

NWMNMom
04-23-2006, 12:26 PM
I would really appreciate some input from someone who has a buttress free pool or has installed one IN AN AREA WHERE THERE IS FROST AND FREEZING WEATHER. We were completely freaked out when reading another post on this board where the poster indicated putting blocks under the uprights where there is frost will cause the wall to buckle when there are frost heaves. We NEED to know soon because install is only weeks away, we want to do it right. The local pool stores (closest one is 125 miles away) will not provide advice because we did not buy from them (they didn't have a buttress free model anyway) nor will they install this far away. We are on our own. PLEASE HELP!!! thank you.

nicker
04-23-2006, 01:10 PM
We are in the same situation. Other then we have a round pool. I have read the the install instructions say to use them. How ever the dealer I bought our pool from said they DO NOT use them when they do installs. My neighbour also did not use them, third year on his pool no problems. London Ontario Canada. We get frost. I don't think I am going to use them either.

NWMNMom
04-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Thank you. I appreciate the help. We bought all those patio blocks because the install instructions called for them, then read that they shouldn't be used in frost areas. I am going to return them.

csevel
04-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Before you return them, I would ask an excavator or a contractor. Even though our pool has very wide base assembly...I feel much more confident setting the uprights on a footer-type foundation instead of directly into the mud precisely for the freeze/thaw effect. We get fairly harsh winters here in Ohio and it just seems like using patio blocks makes sense & would give much more stability to the installation.:o

kevkline
04-23-2006, 08:54 PM
I live in Southeastern Michigan and my installer will not install without them.....I never asked for specifics, just asked if they were necessary and was told yes.

huskerfan
04-27-2006, 03:39 AM
Definitely USE them! For sure on the long sides where the side uprights/buttress free are, and get the largest ones you can. Use the solid ones, not the ones with holes in them. There is a lot of pressure on those sides that a round pool doesn't have. Plus - it's much easier to level your pool using the patio blocks. If you have to fill under them, though, use stone dust/crushers/screenings, to have a solid base. Do not fill with dirt!

I'd recommend them under all uprights, for round pools too. If there's that much heaving that your pool wall buckles - it's not going to matter if there is a patio block there or not anyway. Only problem I can see with heaving is if you have a deck built above or below the top rail. My pool wintered great - use them for extra insurance!

NWMNMom
04-30-2006, 08:34 AM
We went yesterday and bought the heavier blocks (4x8x16 solid) for the side uprights the straps run from on our buttress free. We will use the 12x12x1 for the remainder of the uprights. The left over eight 12x12s will be used for the ladder area on the outside of the pool to help keep it neat and sand free - we don't plan on a deck any time soon. Thanks Donya for the heads up on using them. If you and Matt did not have issues with frost heaves and using them, then I am comfortable that we should not either as long as everything else is installed correctly and level.

pkzmf
05-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Buying a 27" ag round tonight they provide the blocks at install time...I live in west pa along the oh line. heavy frost lines here...I was not able to open my screen door this past winter (which was mild) all of the way do to the rise in the patio bricks. I would also check with the warranty with the pool if installing it yourself...one less thing they can say you did wrong if anything would go wrong.:)

ShelleyAnn
05-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Our instructions for our buttress free oval said they could be left out completely on the round ends. We didn't put them in. I have read there is no downward pressure on the walls, only outward, but we did had some bulging of the metal side in between the uprights where the dirt was too high, so something's moving somewhere. That was simply resolved by removing a tiny bit if dirt with a pocket knife (I'm still amazed).

Shelley

bsbrega
05-08-2006, 05:53 AM
I live in a frozen-tundra winter area and have had my AG 27' round pool for 15 years with no problem. And YES, I have blocks. I would go right ahead and use the blocks.