View Full Version : Okay...new to this..just opened pool..need help

albertgarrido
04-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Pool Facts:
New pool
20x40
Vinyl IG
Automatic Cholorinator is a Rainbow 320

Pool was installed in November, filled and covered almost immediately, although some leaves did get to the bottom.
D.E. Filter was never run and chemicals were not put in.
Pump is a North Star 1 hp
Nothing at all done during winter.
I don't have any other device for putting chemicals in the pool (i.e. Frog, Saltwater purification, etc).

Water is actually not too bad, although a little cloudy from the dirt.
Most of the pool was filled with water from a company that fills pools from what I'm told is very good water from a quarry. The pool was topped off with some water from my well.

I just started the pump and "pre-coated" and took my first reading with "Aqua Chek" strips. I ordered the water tester from this board, but not expecting to receive it for a couple of weeks, so these are the best I have.

Here are my results:
Free Chlorine = 0
PH = 6.2-6.8 (hard to tell with these color strips)
Total Alk = approx 80 (this was actually in the "OK" range (80-120)

Okay..so now what?
If I read some of this stuff correctly, it says to FIRST adjust Total Alk then adjust PH, then Chlorine, but I'll defer to you all.

However, would just make one request. I want to use my automatic cholorinator, so if whatever suggestions you give can include the use of it, and which is the best chlorine to use with it, I'd appreciate. I know that is kind of "sac-religious" on this site. :-)