PDA

View Full Version : Intex Pool Pump

thebumble
04-27-2007, 11:10 AM
:confused: I have the 2,500 GPH Intex Cartridge Filter Pump with my Intex metal frame pool.

I noticed when I open pump to clean cartridge, that it's only 1/2 way filled with water (at most) lately. Sure, it's fine if I turn the air release valve on top and bleed the air out. Then about 1/2 hr. later I check it and the water level's dropped. I put some vaseline on the "O-Ring" on the inside cover and still no luck.

It doesn't look clogged and appears to be sucking the water fine through the skimmer and blowing out fine through the discharge.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you!

waste
04-27-2007, 02:18 PM
thebumble (they bounce, don't they? ;) )

I don't 'play' with the Intex pools (only because we don't sell them and I've never been called to go service one). It sounds like you have a suction side air leak, I believe these pumps/ filters are connected to the pool with corrugated hoses, secured by clamps - like most AG pools, but don't know if the filter is part of the pump or separate. Make sure that the suction line isn't drawing air, if it is - fix the leak. For most filters, if the pump draws air, it will collect in the filter which reduces the filtering ability and makes bubbles come out of the return jet.

The real reason I'm replying is that you should NEVER!!!! use a petrolium product on the gaskets or O-rings!!! Petrolium lube will make the gasket material swell up and wrinkle (like your toes or finger prints when you've been in the pool or bath too long), so it no longer keeps a good seal. You can use K-Y to lube them, but it's water based and will 'wash away' - what you want to lube the pool gaskets with is a silicon or teflon based lube!

I'd imagine that others will 'chime in' with more advice on the air problem, but I really wanted to let you know not to use Vasoline on the gaskets - Waste

NWMNMom
04-27-2007, 02:30 PM
I agree. We had one on our pop up pool years ago and it sounds like there is a small leak in the suction side hose somewhere OR the hose between the pump and the filter. Thats what happened on ours, that hose got just a pin hole sized hole in it which we thought was no big deal but it produced lower suction as it was pulling air - eventually it blew right open at that spot! Maybe think about replacing that hose - its a short hose and cheap enough to do. Or, its the other hose? Anywho, those hoses are plenty inexpensive. Thas actually not a bad pump for that pool (you can run a smaller suction side pool cleaner on it no problem)

We use silicone lubricant on all our pool parts - its stored with the supplies all the time so we never get tempted to try something else.

thebumble
04-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks so much you guys for the information! I'll check my hose tonight! I have a backup hose from last year so I can change them out. There's no bubbling at all in the return line....

I'll get some "O" ring lubricant from the pool store. No more vaseline! haha:rolleyes:

Yes, it's a pretty good filter when it works 100%! It's the upgraded one, not the crappy one that came with the pool. That thing was a joke! I couldn't even use a regular vacuum with that one.

I can vacuum pretty well with the current pump, but it really puts pressure on the filter pump and it gets really loud with the suction when I hook the vac basket up to the skimmer. :eek: I wonder what that's all about?.,.....

Thanks again!:)