PDA

View Full Version : Need order of operations

chazzilla
04-21-2006, 06:27 PM
I need some info from the GURU's! We had a leak and I never found it, finally gave up and we decided to just replace the liner. So to make it worthwhile, we have decided to also install wall foam, a foam cove, and Gorilla padding on the bottom.
#1. What is the order this install would follow? In my head I am thinking gorilla bottom, then foam cove, then wall foam and liner. Is this correct? I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row.
#2. I know alot of people have experience with the happy bottom, but has anyone had any experience in the Gorilla bottom pad, and if so what are your opinions?

hrsdennis
04-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Hi, I would do cove, sides and then bottom. The cove needs to snap into the bottom rail so I would do that first. I would then do the walls. If you are using an overlap liner be sure the foam is down a few inches from the top, allowing plenty of room for the coping. With all that done I would do any final smoothing needed and then install the bottom.

This is an all out liner install, any way we could get some pictures? I bet they would be very helpful to many.

Dennis

NWMNMom
04-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Oh, please do! That would be great to see a step by step.

chazzilla
04-21-2006, 10:10 PM
My wife is on top of the pictures. I like them to because I can say"See I told you I could do it!" I will try to keep her taking them through the whole procedure, and post when we are done. Here is where we are at now: The old install included a hard bottom called pool krete. my issues with this product are it is VERY hard to trowel it smooth. I've poured patios and such, but when you put a pool light on it at night you will see everything. That being said I feel it will be great under the pad. It does provide great support. Issue number 2 the concrete bottom mixed with drop in wedding cake steps, with no pad between the two was a horrible idea!!!!! That come to find out is were my 1000 pinholes in the old liner were. If you are putting in wedding cake step invest in a pad, please take it from me. So I am currently digging out the old cove made of dirt and poolkrete. I have some extra bags of the stuff(Bags like quickcrete) and I will poolkrete to the wall but flat this time. How well does the "bottom" fit against the foam cove? Does it cover it, or overlap it? The foam cove I got is the sticky back kind, so would it not make better sense to do the bottom first, then stick the foam cove against the wall on the bottom, then wall foam. Is it just preference? Also old liner was a J-Hook Liner that we found hard to get the wrinkles out (because our cove was too big;) )so we are going with an overlap liner this time. Thanks for all the support!

chazzilla
04-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Here are some picks of the after. Man, my stomach still does funny things when I see these pictures. Don't take your pool for granted, as we did. Also take your time so three years down the road you are not doing it all over again. Anyway, good times!

hrsdennis
04-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Hi, love the pictures. Can't wait for more. With the hard bottom and the tape backed cove I woud do it just the way you suggested.

Best of luck, Dennis

chazzilla
04-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Here are the before pics! It makes me sick how good that deck used to look. Wood warps, and cracks, and I have found no sealer that will help around the water and sun:(

chazzilla
04-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks, I'll keep checking back!