PDA

View Full Version : ? about SWG

KPROMERO
04-21-2006, 06:18 PM
I installed a Aquarite last weekend and had water tested and was told that everything was good and where it should be at, but notice that water is not too clear. It has a very very light green tint to it. Is this normal?

duraleigh
04-21-2006, 07:29 PM
had water tested and was told that everything was good and where it should be at

That quote (and many, many others almost like it) makes me uneasy. It is simply too vague.

However, everything is not "good and where it should be"....pool water is blue.....not green.

Post up some numbers for FC, CC, CH, Alk, pH and CYA and we'll get you started figuring out your issue:) :)

KPROMERO
04-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Did a test and here are results:
temp.= 75
saturation index = -0.1
tds = 4600
cya = 100
total chlorine = 4.2
free chlroine = 4
ph = 7.6
tot. alkalinity = 153
tot, alkalinty adjust = 123
tot. hardness = 154
salt = 3200
Still have light green tint to water and was told that it is mustard algae. was told to add 3 lbs. of chlorine and add bottle of banish ( from bioguard) and put everything in pool to treat. Pool is 17,200 gallons

duraleigh
04-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Hi, "KP", thanks for the numbers.

Skip the banish. Add 5 gallons of 6% Clorox to your pool....nothing else

purchase your own test kit so you can test for FC, CC, CYA,pH, and Alk. Those pool store test are frequently innacurate and a hassle to go there.

That Clorox will take your pool to 25ppm Cl. When you get your kit, start adding enough Clorox to maintain that 25ppm level 'til your water clears. You may have to add the Clorox 2-3 times each day and test each time but it will work.

Chances are about 98.8% that you've got plain ole' algae. Mustard algae looks like mustard.:) :)

There are many threads on the forum about how to get rid of algae. Start reading and buy that test kit. You'll really struggle without it.

Ben's kit is the best money I've spent on my pool. Just about ready to ship, too.:)

KPROMERO
04-22-2006, 12:07 PM
had order my kit during the week from ben. Waiting for it to come in. This is not a mustard look but a pale green look to water. Everything was fine after installing swg but a week later green water.Can i just put on super chlorinate? I also thought that a swg would kill algae and i would not have to worry about it.

duraleigh
04-22-2006, 12:12 PM
had order my kit during the week from ben. Waiting for it to come in. This is not a mustard look but a pale green look to water. Everything was fine after installing swg but a week later green water.Can i just put on super chlorinate? Thanks for info also.

You'll love the kit.

All the SWG guys will tell you not to shock with the SWG....puts too much demand on it, it can't respond quickly enough, and it will wear out your cell quickly.

Get the bleach.:) :)

KPROMERO
04-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for info. will give it a shot and let ya know. Sucks that one week later i have green tint to water after SWG installed. If i have some leftover chlorine can i use that up since i will not be needing anymore ?

duraleigh
04-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks for info. will give it a shot and let ya know. Sucks that one week later i have green tint to water after SWG installed. If i have some leftover chlorine can i use that up since i will not be needing anymore ?

Hi, "KP"
What kind of Cl do you have? Pucks?......NO!

Let us know what you have!:)

KPROMERO
04-22-2006, 12:33 PM
No pucks. It is called Regal with 68% calcium hypochlorite and 38% other ingrediants.

duraleigh
04-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Yep, It's Great for Shock:) :)

put in 4.5 lbs...That should bring your Cl to 25ppm.

Now you need to keep it there. I would test again tonight and add 1 lb for every 5ppm you need to raise your Cl to get it back to 25ppm.

If you run out of Cal Hypo, use 1.5 gallons of 6% Clorox to raise your pool 5ppm.:)

Mark_WATERMAID
04-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Hi KP

Are you sure that it is mustard algae? With the numbers that you have posted, everything should be good. I personally dont like your CYA at 100 we tell everyone to run at half of that. There have been some great posts on high CYA and Ben has talked about it as well. If it is too high, you need to run higher Chlorine levels. As far as the green pool goes, if you have confirmed that it is algae then that is great. I just had a pool a few weeks ago with almost the same numbers (except CYA) and it was a pretty green colour as well. It was also very clear except for the colour and it turned out that they had used cheap water softener salt to start their pool. I push the use of water softener salt but it has to be the clean white pellet kind not the stuff with pink and brown lumps. In the end, I told them to leave everything alone and the colour went away after about a week of filtering. Check your salt and make sure that it is the right stuff. If it is, the other advice given here is great.

Mark Manning
Watermaid Canada
mark@watermaid.ca
www.watermaid.ca

KPROMERO
04-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Salt I bought was from leslie's pools and was call aquasalt or something like that. Was $8 for 40 lb. bag. From what i hear mustard algae is a mustard color and mine is a very light green color, so not sure but thats what local pool place told me and it's like a mom and pop store and they have never steard me wrong before. Doing the shock thing and will see what happens. Also if it was another kind of algae I thought that it does not grow in a system with a SWG, but I am knew to it since it has only been connected to pool for only 1 week today and have been running it 24 hours a day.