PDA

View Full Version : Question about Alk & pH

lshiggins
04-21-2006, 04:07 PM
I found this forum last Spring, after opening our pool and dealing with a pool store induced mess :rolleyes: for the 4th straight year in a row. Thanks to the awesome folks and info on this board, we enjoyed a hassle free pool (once we got it clean) last summer for the FIRST time since we moved in. THANK YOU!

On to my issue... I opened our pool Monday. It was basically clear, with some dirt, a few leaves, pollen, etc. I've kept the FC around 12 using bleach only (testing 3x/day), have added some CYA (initial reading was 0), and vaccuumed. FC was 10 this morning when I tested (down from 12 yesterday evening). Here are my PS233 results today:

FC: 10
CC: 0
pH: 7.0
ALK: 80
CYA: <20
temp: 68

The water is crystal clear. :D I know I need to get my CYA up... I'll work slowly on that over the next couple of weeks and I'm shooting for 30. Should I be concerned about the pH and ALK? I've been reading so much info here, and I think I'm on overload a little. I have Borax and baking soda, but I'm a little confused as to which to add and in what order. :o I overshot my goal last year and wound up with a pH of 8. Although it didn't appear to cause problems (it stayed at 8 all summer), I'd rather stay in the 7.4 neighborhood this year.

I have a 24ft AG pool, 13500 gallons.

Thanks so much!

Lauren

mwsmith2
04-21-2006, 04:39 PM
1st, bring your pH up with borax. Then once that is acceptable, say 7.6 or so, then work on the alk. Chances are that your alk will come up slightly as you raise your pH.

Try not to let your pH stay at the high end of the scale. Once it gets that high, it's hard to tell if it is at 8.0 or 9.0, since they will both look virtually the same. Stay in the midpart of the pH tester at all costs.

Michael

chemicalbalance
04-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I think that you are in good shape. A slight dose of borax should bump your pH up a little to where you want to be. Your Alkalinity is still low enough that your pH should not be locked in yet. I agree that if you raise your pH a little, then your alkalinity will follow naturally into a stable range.

I think that you are right on track. Just take your time.

lshiggins
04-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks so much for the advice! I'll start adding some Borax in the morning. Now, if there was just some magic way to get that water temp up! ;)

Lauren

KurtV
04-21-2006, 10:40 PM
If you are using bleach you might want to give the pH a day or two; the bleach will raise it.

Your alkalinity is in the "acceptable" range so why muck with it?