PDA

View Full Version : Old solar cover disposal

ChuckD
04-12-2007, 12:23 AM
My solar cover will be going on it's third year this season and from what I hear it'll be approaching it's end of life. It actually looks pretty good still so I'll stretch it out if I can. But it's a blue and silver model so there's little light penetration and in Upstate NY we need all the solar gain we can get, so I'm also leaning to retiring it soon for a clear one.

Anyhoo, are these things recyclable? I hate to just toss it in the trash.

Chuck

matt4x4
04-12-2007, 07:20 AM
unless it's got the recycle logo on it, you're likely going to be hard pressed finding anyone who will take it.
Try calling your local recycle center and they should be able to tell you, if someone tells you yes - get their name, because htere's nothing worse that showing up to drop it off and the next guy tells you no.

Poconos
04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
May be handy to cut some of the good sections and save them for maybe covering sections of the pool that the regular cover doesn't cover or cushions to lay things on like a rolled up solar cover. If you have use for these good sections at least it will cut down on the quantity of what you need to trash. As a last resort if you're into bonfires the stuff melts down to nothing.
Al

mhnewcomb
04-12-2007, 07:21 PM
My old liner and old solar blanket made great underlayment for the rock garden I installed around the pool perimeter.

ChuckD
04-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks all, I'll try to recycle and if that fails I'll reuse creatively. If I can recycle I'll report back.

C.