PDA

View Full Version : Pool Instalation

carcanken
04-03-2007, 01:41 PM
I have been looking at putting in a AG pool and in the installation quote they put in the use of harborlite or sand. What is harborlite? Is it better than using sand?
Thanks

matt4x4
04-05-2007, 09:01 AM
I really don't think food grade filtration is necessary for your pool unless you drink a LOT of the water. You sure they're not talking about Zeobrite - the more common replacement for sand in filters.

hrsdennis
04-05-2007, 09:58 AM
I am guessing we are talking pool base here. I have used a product called zonalite before. It's a type of insulation. It is commonly used with in ground vinyl iner pools. It can be mixed with water and concrete and trowled into place. I prefer sand for above grounds.

Dennis

hrsdennis
04-05-2007, 10:46 PM
I guess I should research a little before looking stupid here. :)

"MP2 Harborlite media is the preferred choice where a High Purity, direct replacement is needed for Food Grade Harborlite perlite filter aid. Other than the addition of an acid washing purification step, the MP2 Harborlite perlite manufacturing process is similar to that of conventional Harborlite perlite filter aid. This similarity produces a media that will minimize differences in filtration processes." Taken from a site that makes the stuff. It's greek to me but we are for sure talking filtration here.

Later, Dennis

carcanken
04-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Sorry for the late reply. The Harborlite was suggested as a replacement for the sand as the base. I think I will go with the sand.

matt4x4
04-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Go with the normal sand, the harborlite sounds a little on the expensive side based on the long words used in it's description, besides, I don't think anyone's going to be eating off it!
What good is food grade filtration sand under your pool - it'll be that (food grade) for about the first five minutes until it gets pushed around and mixed with the dirt and clay and then just becomes regular sand with a certain particle tolerance.