PDA

View Full Version : Correct Sizing For Filter...Can it be too big??

Enigma869
04-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Good Afternoon All...

I recently purchased a home with an inground pool and some no-name DE filter (I believe it's a 60 sq feet filter) that isn't working well. It's having to be backwashed daily, and this is even after completely taking the filter apart and thoroughly cleaning the media. I am contemplating purchasing the Pentair stainless steel series and just wondering what size to get. I'm inclined to the the largest size I can get (which I believe is rated for 72 sq feet), and just not put as much pressure on the filter. I'm just wondering if there is such a thing as having too big of a filter for the pool it's filtering. Is there any downside to having too large of a filter, and if so, what are the bad points about it? The pool is an oasis type with a 3.5 shallow end and 6.5 foot deep end. It also has two waterfalls and a hot tub, if that makes a difference. Any and all feedback offered is greatly appreciated.

John from Boston

CarlD
04-01-2007, 04:35 PM
While I'm no whiz on DE filters, generally bigger is better when talking about filters. Certainly with sand they work better when not pushed to or near maximum capacity. I've noticed from Day 1 that my sand filter seemed to work better when I was running the 2 speed pump on low speed. PoolDoc (Ben) confirmed that the sand works better when the water moves past it a bit slower.

Again I'm not the DE expert, but I expect it's true of DE as well.