PDA

View Full Version : Timer on pump/filter

VOLDADDY
03-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Greetings all. I'm looking at adding a timer on my pump/filter this year in order to try and save some money on my light bill. I have an 18x36 IG pool. My questio is this, is there any certain brand or features you guys that have them would reccomend, and how long should I let my pump run to make sure it is filtering the water? My pool is scheduled to be opened Friday the 13th! My light bill is usually about 1/2 in the winter when my pool is closed, and it is supposed to be more then. I have been running mine 24/7 for the last 3 years. TIA.

dawndenise
03-31-2007, 11:29 AM
My PB installed an Intermatic timer with Freeze Protection. It's a fairly basic model but does the job. I can't imagine what it would be like to not have a timer. While I can't tell you how long you'll need to run your pool equipment to ensure a turnover or two, I CAN tell you it won't be 24/7! So, your electric bills should be appreciably less than last summer. :)

My pool's currently on 7 hours and that may be a bit much, considering it's only mid-70's to 80 degrees with 68 degree water. I know I'm turning over the pool at least once, but there's so darn much pollen, spend flower buds, dirt, etc. in the air (and, therefore, in my pool) that I need to keep the water circulated.

One thing I'd do differently is to put the Polaris cleaner on its own timer, slave to the main timer. There may actually be a different Intermatic model that can do this. If you have an automatic cleaner with a booster pump, you might want to consider that.

brittmer
04-01-2007, 12:59 AM
I have an Intermatic timer also but not sure which model. I would suggest that you get a timer that can turn off and on more than once in a 24 hour period. I run my pump from 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM and then again from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM. I have a 32,000 gallon pool and it stays clean and the chemicals stay balanced. By running in two seperate times during the day, I have noticed that I use less chemicals during the year as well as less electricity!!

Bruce

VOLDADDY
04-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to get one when I open my pool. Has anyone ever heard of a brand called Tightwatt? It's a digital timer. TIA.

ChuckD
04-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Sorry, can't comment on that one, but I found all I need is this $16 Intermatic I got from Ace Hardware:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1340339&cp=1254975.1259150&parentPage=family

Granted I have a very simple system; I only run a 3/4 hp Hayward set for 110. But after two summers I've found two periods a day totaling about 8 hours was enough. I just make sure a couple of those hours are in the afternoon when sun stress is the greatest.

C.

CarlD
04-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Timers are required by code in my town. At a minimum you are allowed to use a plug-in weather-proof timer, but most people have them installed when they do the electrical work for the pump and pool.

I have a simple mechanical timer wired into my breaker box in my basement, and it went in when the electrician put in the 240v GFI breaker for the pump. It's a simple gray metal box that closes. It came with one on/off pair of timer clips (they clip to the timer clock wheel) and I bought a second pair at an electrical supply house. That way I can run the pool when the sun shines (I have solar) and again at night so I can add chems in the evening.

For the winter I remove the clips, store them in the bottom of the timer's box and switch the timer's switch to "off".

Simple. Effective. Flexible.

My only limitation is I can't do fancy programming for different days of the week.

So far it's worked perfectly for years.