PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding 2 speed pump for energy savings.

cruzmisl
03-28-2007, 10:19 AM
HI All,
I want to get a 2 speed pump to try and save some energy costs this year but have a question regarding the low speed portion of the pump. The graph is here,

http://www-1.pentairwater.com/jwcs/wcsstore/ToolTech/images/pool/WhisperFlo_curve.jpg

If you look at all the low speed pump numbers none of them flow any water above 30 ft of head. Does this happen in the field? If so, my notion of running my inground pool that probably has an average of 60ft head is flawed and I'll only waste money paying for a 2 speed pump I won't use.

Anyone care to explain?

Thanks!!
Joe

Davenj
03-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Check out the link below. Total head changes with pressure and vaccum readings. My 2spd reads 22psi on high and 6 on low speed. Still has good flow and filters better, plus hardly makes any noise.
http://www.poolplaza.com/pool-pump-sizing-2.shtml

cruzmisl
03-28-2007, 01:35 PM
OK, good reading, thanks! I have a spa with a separate pump connected to my pool and the way it is plumbed I can have the water spill over (powered by pool motor) into the pool. I was planning on getting a 2 stage pump so I could run it on high speed for the spillover/spa duites and leave it on low for filtering. I think this will work and save me some money in the process.
Thanks,
JOe

mas985
03-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Your head loss should drop by a factor of 1/4 as shown by Davenj. So if you run at 60 feet of head on high speed, your low speed head should be about 14 feet.

webfeet
04-01-2007, 06:13 PM
We built a pool last last summer. Used it about a month. We chose a 2 hp Hayward Super Pump. It is a two speed pump and we love it. Our pool is 20 x 40 ig vinyl liner. Generally, we run the pump on low speed 24/7. We did not close our pool this winter. We have not noticed any drastic increase in our electric bill. We have a built in spa and are in the process of building a waterfall. We plan to run the pump on high speed to use these features. Occasionally, because of pollen, we do kick the pump up to high for about 1 hour.
There are several threads about 2 sp pumps on this forum. Hope this helps.

cruzmisl
04-01-2007, 08:59 PM
It sure does help. I now want one but am having a heck of a time getting a decent deal for a Pentair Whisperflo. Any ideas on places that sell at a discount? Online is OK.
Thanks,
Joe

webfeet
04-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I would try using one of the price comparison websites. Do a search for these, and then, when you find one, type in the Model # and name of the pump in your search. You may have to try several of these before you find one that lists what you want. I did this when we bought our polaris and aquarite.