PDA

View Full Version : Need some help reclaiming the swamp that WAS my pool

CelticDaddio
03-21-2007, 03:13 PM
I am getting ready to reclaim the swamp in my backyard that is my pool. I have spent the last 2 or 3 weeks scooping leaves out. My cover collapsed during the winter... at the end of this season, I will either buy a much better cover or just not shut the pool down at all.

Right now, just about the only thing left is small particulates that are too small for the leave rake bag, but too big to vacuum up. I say they are too big because after trying to vacuum them up and send them out via the waste setting on my filter, I found that the particulate matter had settled to the bottom of the little basket on my pump. It almost clogged the line so I really don't want to try that again. So my first question is this.... how do I get the stuff off the bottom of the pool without clogging my pool lines?

Second issue... pool chemistry... I want to use the BBB method, but I am confused as to how to add the B, B and B... more specifcally, what are the individual steps and in what order to I add the chemicals.... Does anyone have a check list of sorts for the BBB method? I would especially appreciate hints at getting my swamp water cleared up....

Lastly.... Test Strips or the liquid drops type test kit? Which gives me the best results when trying to maintain my water balance?

Thanks,
Ed

CarlD
03-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Well, start by going to the various topic headings here and read the stickied threads. We have threads for ALL these things you are asking, including spring cleanup.

Drop testing is the best way to go. Get a GOOD test kit--be prepared to spend $60 to $100, but it will be the BEST investment you make--and you have a big pool, so you REALLY have to stay ahead of your water.

Get either a Taylor model 2006 test kit or go to Leslie's on line and get their FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. You want a kit with the FAS-DPD chlorine test, not the DPD test. You also want to test pH, Total Alkalinity, CYA (Stabilizer) and finally Calcium Hardness (or just Calcium, or hardness). If Ben was taking orders, his kit is the best of all, but he's not so these two are essentially the same. Also get a simple OTO test kit--handy to have around.

Strips are not reliable, and difficult to use. If you MUST have them than Hach 6-ways that have a CYA test, or the LaMotte with the CYA test on them are the only ones worth getting. They ain't cheap--100 of the Hach run $30, and 50 of the LaMotte can be $10-$15. And you MUST replace them every spring...and drop testing is STILL better.

But READ, READ, READ! We have them stickied in each topic just for your convenience.

CelticDaddio
03-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the info.... How about the kit sold at poolsolutions.com?

Ed

Well, start by going to the various topic headings here and read the stickied threads. We have threads for ALL these things you are asking, including spring cleanup.

Drop testing is the best way to go. Get a GOOD test kit--be prepared to spend $60 to $100, but it will be the BEST investment you make--and you have a big pool, so you REALLY have to stay ahead of your water.

Get either a Taylor model 2006 test kit or go to Leslie's on line and get their FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. You want a kit with the FAS-DPD chlorine test, not the DPD test. You also want to test pH, Total Alkalinity, CYA (Stabilizer) and finally Calcium Hardness (or just Calcium, or hardness). If Ben was taking orders, his kit is the best of all, but he's not so these two are essentially the same. Also get a simple OTO test kit--handy to have around.

Strips are not reliable, and difficult to use. If you MUST have them than Hach 6-ways that have a CYA test, or the LaMotte with the CYA test on them are the only ones worth getting. They ain't cheap--100 of the Hach run $30, and 50 of the LaMotte can be $10-$15. And you MUST replace them every spring...and drop testing is STILL better.

But READ, READ, READ! We have them stickied in each topic just for your convenience.

GraceByDesign
03-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the info.... How about the kit sold at poolsolutions.com?

Ed

That is Ben's Kit, to which CarlD was referring. Ben is MIA and not taking orders at the present time.

This forum, however, is going strong, and filled to halfway up the skimmer (oh, ha ha! :rolleyes: ) with great, reliable information!

Happy swimming!