PDA

View Full Version : Pollen in pool

jnorris
03-17-2007, 04:42 PM
OK, this is my first spring with the pool (started up in May of last year). Water temp is in the low 60's, but the pollen has started around here (SC). I usually run my pump 24/7 on low, but I'm seeing a lot of pollen just sitting on top of the water. Do I need to be running my pump on high to get rid of the pollen, and then backwashing often? Do I need to be worried that having pollen in the pool will lead to algae? CYA is 55-60, FC and TC is 5ppm. I use BBB method.

mas985
03-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Given the water temp and your high chlorine, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I have a pine in my yard which drops a ton of pollen each year but luckily it is in the fall when water temps are low. My FC is about 1 ppm and I have never had an algae problem. Just watch it carefully and if you see a hint of green, hit it hard with bleach.

CrisL
03-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Running on high will get rid of the pollen faster (and require backwashing faster). If you can adjust the the skimmers and main drain, you can direct more water flow through the skimmers, which will also help and might save you from having to switch to high. Pollen is a spring nuisance with me also as I have a couple of trees right near my pool.

nater
03-19-2007, 01:51 PM
You can use a panty hose or skimmer sock to capture the pollen. If you have alot, you'll have to rinse/replace the sock frequently, but it keeps it out of your filter.

PhantomAndy
05-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Here in KY last spring we had an awful pollen issue for about a week. I've never seen it so bad. It looked like I had a blanket on the top of the water.

I just kept an eye on the skimmer baskets. Even witout a skimmer sock, my baskets were clogging up every day or so. Just keep an eye on that and I'm sure you'll be fine.