PDA

View Full Version : New Cleaning Process in the paper.

slater1182
03-11-2007, 10:05 PM
What do you guys think? is this to good to be true :p ?

What process could remove the calcium?

Anyone tried this process or similar?

link to article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2007/03/12/story6.html?b=1173672000^1428608

their website:
http://www.calsaway.com/index.php

chem geek
03-11-2007, 10:26 PM
First of all, the reduction of water hardness is only needed in areas where the fill water has high water hardness, and specifically where such hardness is particularly high in calcium (because it takes a LOT more magnesium to cause scale since magnesium carbonate is far more soluble in water than calcium carbonate).

I don't know what their process is, but for removing calcium all they would have to do is transfer the pool water into an external chamber and raise the pH significantly (perhaps using lye, sodium hydroxide) and then the calcium will form scale (calcium carbonate) that will fall to the bottom (i.e. precipitate) or could be filtered. There may be ways of accelerating this process with fine particles to help form the scale more quickly. The water would then be moved to another chamber where the pH was restored (perhaps using Muriatic Acid, hydrochloric acid). The net result will be an increase in salt level (sodium with some chloride) with the calcium removed.

Another related approach would add sodium bicarbonate to the first chamber with high CO2 levels above the water while the second chamber would aerate and remove the CO2 (perhaps recycling some back to the first chamber). A combination of the two processes might be quite effective.

A different approach would be to use a water softener (ion exchange resin) which would remove both calcium and magnesium from the water and would exchange them with either sodium or potassium.

Since the company's claim is that they also remove algae and "other bacteria" (algae isn't a bacteria so I don't know what they meant), they may be using a water clarifier and filtration in addition to something that precipitates calcium.

Or they have found a miraculous substance that precipitates calcium (and magnesium?) and can somehow easily remove that substance (assuming some of it stays in the water) before putting the water back into the pool. :D

Richard

slater1182
03-11-2007, 10:50 PM
great info!!! thanks for the quick reply.

Richard, check out the video on the home page mid-way down. Looks like they pour in a bunch of minerals, must be the lye or sodium hydroxide you mentioned above.

I will call the company next week and get more information. your post now provides me with some specific questions to ask on their process. thanks!!