PDA

View Full Version : Stains from Ironite (granular fertilizer)

BillyBumbler
03-11-2007, 12:58 AM
My wife directed my gardener to broadcast Ironite (a brand of granular fertilizer with, you guessed it, iron in it) in the flower beds in the backyard. So he did, and then used a blower like he always does to clear the deck. I get home to brownish streaks in the pebbletech and a dozen or so red dots on my deck and stained coping. I was enraged to say the least. Anyway, my first instinct is to treat this like naturally occuring iron stains and treat with acsorbic acid and sequestrant, and I suppose take some acsorbic acid to the red marks on the deck as well. But maybe someone knows something I don't about iron fertilizer stains that I don't or have a better suggestion? Ever heard of this happening?

mas985
03-11-2007, 07:51 PM
The same thing happened to me last year. Ascorbic acid is good for the light all over type of stains from high metal water but I found it does not work well for deep spots caused by fertilizer or small metal objects.

For spot stains, I use either a very fine (>200 grit) wet/dry sand paper or a device called the pool eraser which is basically a hard piece of rubber that fits on the end of a pool pole. You can find them at most pool stores. You basically rub the stain out but don't worry it will not harm the finish. It is not very practical for large areas but it works well for small stubborn stains.