PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About pH DROPPING???

PopcornGirl
04-20-2006, 07:38 PM
At first I thought it was just a mistake on my part, but I have triple checked it and my pH is definitely coming down.
Two days ago it was 7.5, yesterday & this morning it was 7.4; just checked it again (3 times to be sure) and it is 7.2. :confused:

As some of you know, I am coming off a LOT of problems and am currently rebuilding the chlorine in my pool after a HEAVY demand. I'm still trying to get to 20 ppm. (Please see the EASTER EGG thread in this forum for more info)

I guess my question is this:
1) Is this NORMAL???
and
2) Will this interfere in any way with my bleach shocking/conversion?

I know that the pH doesn't really need to be any lower than 7.2 and I have NOT added acid or anything BUT bleach for the past several days...
My CYA is currently at 50.
Should I be concerned or no worries?

mwsmith2
04-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Well, without reading the other thread, do you have a puck-based Cl feeder running?

Start adding borax if it gets to 7.0

Michael

duraleigh
04-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Summer,

No worries. I can't explain why it's occuring but, as Michael said, it's easy to control. Use his calc to see how much acid you need to bring it back into range.

It'll have no affect on your Cl application. We'll help you get your pool fine-tuned after that Cl holds overnight.

You'll love Bens' kit....it's money well spent.

PopcornGirl
04-20-2006, 09:24 PM
I can't wait to get it!

Well it's good to know that it won't affect the chlorination, but what I was really hoping to find out was *why* this is happening.
Does anyone know what is causing this?
I'm really wanting to better understand all these chemical relationships...

Watermom
04-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Have you had a lot of rain? Whenever I do, I sometimes see a drop in ph.

Watermom

mbar
04-21-2006, 05:52 PM
I think it is still left over from your stain treatment. What is your alkalinity? Post your numbers if you can. The stain treatment is very acidic, and can be effecting your ph. You may want to keep your ph at 7.2 for now - it will help your chlorine to be stronger, plus it will help keep any metals that are in your water from dropping out and landing on the surface of the pool again. Your chlorine is still fighting something that's why it's getting eaten up. Keep an eye on your ph, and try to keep it at 7.2 to 7.4. Your ph will stabalize once the chlorine is finished cleaning up and filtering out what shouldn't be in the pool. Check your alkalinity, because you can also get into ph bounce - all of the chemicals work together, that's why it's great once the pool is balanced - and don't worry you will get there!!!

PopcornGirl
04-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Watermom,
Unfortuantely, NO -- it's been EXTREMELY DRY here. :(
We had a brief thunderstorm today that gave us a pretty good soaking, but that's the first one in about 2 weeks.

Marie,
THANK YOU! That's what I wanted to know & needed to hear... I will stop worrying now. :)
My current pool readings are:
Temp: 78 degrees (must have been a cold rain!)
FC: ~10 ppm
TC: ~8-9 ppm
pH: 7.2
Do I need to check TA & CYA again? They were both fine 2 days ago...
I will if I need to!
I have a regular chemistry lab set up on my dining room table. :D
Thanks again for the help,

mbar
04-21-2006, 11:18 PM
I would check them to see if they changed at all. It is good to see what your cya is because it will change how much chlorine you need to get into shock. You want to check your alkalinity because the stain treatment can mess that up too. You are certainly on the right path - your pool looks beautiful, once all the algae is gone and you can get your water in balance, it will be a cinch to keep it that way.