PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get Clear (Have PS233 Results)

aswetich
04-20-2006, 05:28 PM
I have been unable to get my pool clear since I opened it about 5 days ago. Yesterday I added pool flock in a attempt to clear it up and nothing changed. Here is what I have right now:

FC=3.5
CC= .5
TC= 2
PH=7.2
Alk=140
CAL=150
CYA=60
Temp 59 Degrees

Can see 3' end bottom, unable to see bottom starting at 4'.

20X40 with 8.5 deep end (Liner)

mwsmith2
04-20-2006, 05:53 PM
What type of filter do you have? Are you running 24/7?

aswetich
04-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Sand Filter Running 24X7

CarlD
04-20-2006, 09:32 PM
OK, with that CYA, you should NEVER let your FC go below 5ppm. Start there.

duraleigh
04-20-2006, 09:46 PM
I have been unable to get my pool clear since I opened it about 5 days ago. Yesterday I added pool flock in a attempt to clear it up and nothing changed. Here is what I have right now:

FC=3.5
CC= .5
TC= 2
PH=7.2
Alk=140
CAL=150
CYA=60
Temp 59 Degrees

Can see 3' end bottom, unable to see bottom starting at 4'.

20X40 with 8.5 deep end (Liner)

Aswetich,

Given your CYA of 60, I think there is a very good chance you have never reached "breakpoint" Cl (shock level).

If it were my pool, I would bring the Cl up to about 20ppm and KEEP IT THERE until you can hold virtually a constant level of Cl overnight.

Time and time again, both us forum "old timers" and "newbies" try to make the issues harder than they really are. Time and time again, the answer to murky, cloudy, green, etc. etc. water is Cl.

Download Michaels calculator and go get some bleach. I'll bet it will clear your water. BTW, What type of Cl did you put in your pool when you opened.?

Watermom
04-20-2006, 10:19 PM
aswetich:
Just a comment. FC + CC = TC.

Watermom

aswetich
04-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Ok,
One person says to keep the CL (Is this TC?) at 20 ppm and one says don't go below 3.5 FC. I am assuming they say the same thing so I will ask the question I have related to the bleach calculator. The bleach calculator has a ppm increase field but I don't know how to calculate what my existing ppm is. Can you tell me how to use my numbers above to figure out the current ppm so I can enter the ppm increase in the ppm calculator ?

Thanks

mwsmith2
04-21-2006, 11:11 AM
You don't calculate what your existing PPM is, you measure it with a test kit. Measure the FC with the DPD-FAS test. If you want to get to 20 ppm Cl, and your test results are 3.5, then 20 - 3.5 = 16.5. Put that number in the ppm increase field and hit calculate. You'll be shown how much bleach to add.

Michael

aswetich
04-21-2006, 12:51 PM
That is what I calculated but I assumed I did something wrong. My 32K pool will require 8 Gallons of 6% to get to 20 ppm. With the readings I displayed above does 8 gallons seem correct ? What number do I want to use to keep at 20 ppm ? FC, CC, or TC ?

Thanks

mwsmith2
04-21-2006, 01:43 PM
If you are currently at 5 ppm, then yes, 8 gallons of 6% bleach will take you to 20 ppm. However, if you have 3.5 ppm right now, you are going to need 8.8 gallons, or 8 Gallon(s), 3 quart(s), 0 cup(s) and 6 ounce(s). :D

For sanitation/algae killing the number that does the work (the one you want to use) is FC.

aswetich
04-21-2006, 04:30 PM
OK,
This is all starting to make sense. So after I get everything all cleared up I should keep my FC level around 5 due to the 60 CYA ? (Any span or just right at 5 give or take?) If I keep my FC at 5 won't the standard two tube tester show the clorine level off the chart ? (Bright Yellow) If it is off the chart wont it irratate the eye, Etc ? Having you guys to talk to is helping a lot !!! Thanks

mwsmith2
04-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Yes, keep it at right around 5 to be problem-free.

No, you won't get any eye irritation.

Yes, it will look like it's off the chart. That's why you need a DPD-FAS Cl test, much like the one that's included in Ben's test kit. Actually, the PS234 is the best deal out there, I highly suggest it.

Michael

aswetich
04-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Last night about 9:00PM I added the amount of bleach the calculator said to bring the FC up to 20 ppm. Just checked the FC at 10:00AM this morning and it is 20.5 ppm. It is a bit clearer but still has a long way to go. How long should I keep the FC at 20 before I let it drop down to the 5 ppm recomendation for my 60 CYA ? How long should it take to clear up ?

Thanks

duraleigh
04-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Run your pump 24/7 'til your pool looks good to you. Keep your Cl at 20ppm for the same length of time.

Can't tell you how long that will take...usually a dramatic inprovement in 24-48 hours.....depends on a lot of factors.

Can you test for CC?

IceT1
04-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Hello all. Please allow me to chime in here since I also have similar problems posted in this thread. First, my pool is 14x28 vinyl IG, 12K with sand filter. After discovering Pool Solutions late last year, I decided to convert to Ben’s methods. Upon opening this year (4-23), I was amazed how fast the green went away in the pool water using 6% bleach. While waiting for the PS234 to arrive, all I have is the OTO cl and ph and so I don't know where my cl level is above 3ppm. The green has been gone several days and I've brushed and vacuumed several times to ensure I've killed the algae attached to the surfaces. My problem is heavy white cloudy water. From past experience, I assume this to be dead algae, but flocking didn’t settle it. Other than after flock app, the pump/filter is running 24/7 and I've cleaned the sand with last year's pool store filter cleaner. I don’t understand what this milk effect is, which reduces visibility to one foot or so. Any suggestions please? Thank you much!

DavidD
04-27-2006, 10:07 AM
We really need a full spectrum of numbers (FC, PH, CH, ALK etc.) which you may not be able to post. In order to get a more accurate chlorine reading using your current test kit, take a sample of your pool water and mix it with an equal amount of purified (bottled) water then double the number you come up with. This should expand your test to 6. If it reads 6, then use two parts purified water to one part pool water, this should expand your test to 9. I'm thinking you can at least get your chlorine in order (which may be the culprit) while waiting for a good test kit.

mwsmith2
04-27-2006, 10:35 AM
It may be dead algae in the water column, it may be Ca problems, it could be lotsa stuff. However, saying that you can't see past one foot, it sounds like something other than algae to me. Need to get a full workup on your water to determine what's wrong.

Oh, did you use any CaHypo to shock?

Michael

bryjen
05-14-2006, 04:42 PM
How do you use the calculater. Other than pool size what values do you put in.

Thanks

Watermom
05-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Which of the calculators are you trying to use? There is more than just the bleach calculator. If you click in the upper left corner "more calcs" you will find several more.

bryjen
05-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Im trying to use this one.http://www.hal-pc.org/~mwsmith2/BleachCalc262.exe. Im not sure where to look for the other ones. I dont see anything in left corner on this page.
Thanks

Maxout
05-16-2006, 01:19 AM
Bryjen Open the Bleach Calulator program mentioned in your post.

In the upper left hand corner is tab marked "More Calcs" click it.

I have circled it in red in the picture below...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/max511/bleach.jpg

bryjen
05-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks, what do you put it the field for quantity of bleach.

Watermom
05-17-2006, 11:35 PM
If you want to find out how much one quart of 6% bleach will raise your chlorine level, put in .25 since one quart is equal to one-fourth of a gallon. If you want to know about half a gallon, put .5, or if you want to know how much a 3 quart jug will raise it (since that is how much is in most of the bottles sold these days), you put .75. Hope this helps.

bryjen
05-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks so much. While I have you Ive just converted over to bleach. My question is since my cya is 100 the amount of chlorine that I need to use is above the 5 on the scale. How do I measure. My Fc is 3 my cc is 0. My tc is 2.If fc + cc + tc why is my reading lower which is more important.

Sherra
05-19-2006, 11:59 AM
If fc + cc + tc why is my reading lower which is more important.I'm guessing that was just a type-o. FC+CC=TC So, if your FC is 3 and your CC is 0 then your TC will also be 3. The CC is important because if it's more than .5 then you need to bring your chlorine up to "shock" level (depends on your CYA level) to get rid of the "useless" chlorine.

bryjen
05-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks it was a type-o. What i need to know is since my cya is 100 and I need to have my level between 5 and 8 and the test kit only goes to 5, should i depend on the fc reading. When i ran my test fc was 3 and tc was 2 why are they not the same??