PDA

View Full Version : thinking of replacing my de filter

fog80
03-02-2007, 11:55 AM
the existing de filter is a hayward (looks like a almond colored trash can almost) and is over 12 yrs old.

The filter works ok, but the bump handle part has broken off (not from the center, from the other side).

what de filter do you all recommend? (its an ig kidney shaped pool that goes up to 8'. I think i measured it last year and it came up to about 20k gallons of water)

CarlD
03-02-2007, 02:56 PM
What would it cost to replace the broken parts of the bump handle?

If your screens/fingers are good, and everything else is good, and your filter is properly sized, why not just fix it?

fog80
03-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Yeah the fingers dont look bad at all and the pump works good, I just cant bump properly anymore to loosen up de from the fingers.

I think I will have to replace the entire top, because the actual plastic has broken off where the handle goes. Do you know where I can get that part?

waste
03-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Fog, last spring we assumed that you have a EC 65 filter - if that's the case, there is a second mounting for the handle - the handle will just stick out more to the back. If both are broken, the replacement part is ECX11194AT, if there is only 1 mounting, then you will need a new top, for the EC 60 the part is ECX1243. The problem is that were not 100% sure which unit you have (the 2 guesses were based on the old owners correctly telling you that the filter takes 6lbs DE.

Here's a link to Haywards filter page (the filters you want to look at are the Perflex Extended Cycle)
http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/products/replacement_parts.cfm#filters
If you can ascertain which filter is yours (the pictures are only a little help, but # of securing bolts may help narrow it down), then you'll have the part# to try to get from E-Bay or other source. If you need any help just ask (at least with the link - we'll all be looking at the same picture :) )

fog80
03-15-2007, 02:41 PM
waste,

on the top of my filter there are two mounting "brackets" but both of them are broken.

in addition to the part number you mentioned, I will probably need a new bump handle and screw to attach it to the new lid.

is ebay the best (read: cheapest) place to get these things?

fog80
03-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Doing a quick search, I didnt find the part on ebay. I found a bunch of online retailers offering the part.

This retailer had the cheapest price, actually below what hayward has on their website.

http://www.mypool.com/Help_files/Parts_Diagrams/Hayward-Perflex-EC65.htm

waste
03-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Ok, that pretty much makes it sure that it's an EC 65 (at least you can understand why they put 2 of the 'brackets' on top - they tend to break). If you go to the link I gave (the EC65 & 75) they give the 'exploded view' with each part of the unit numbered, scroll down and find the part #s for each peice you need to replace. You can probably order them direct from Hayward, but I think you'll save $ by going through E-Bay, or similar. I can't say that E-Bay is the cheepest source (I don't do much buying on-line), but with the right part #s, you can at least look into different sources for what you need (remember to take taxes and shipping costs into consideration when buying on-line) and get yourself the best deal.

p.s. - got your pm, expect a package next week :) (I would have said "early next week" but we may be getting some snow tomorrow and can't guarantee making it to the post office)

fog80
03-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help.

I'll probably be ordering the new top within the next few weeks.